We sort your Self Assessment for you. £169, all in.

Fast, effortless and 100% online.  Learn more

We sort your Self Assessment for you. £169, all in.

How do I know I’m due a tax rebate?

  • 2 min read
  • Last updated 18 Jan 2024

Being due a tax rebate means that for whatever reason, you paid more income tax than you were supposed to (HMRC makes mistakes too, surprise, surprise!). 

At the end of the tax year, you will receive a P8100 which lets you know if you’re due a tax rebate. The good news is that now HMRC has to give you back any overpaid tax.

If HMRC does not automatically refund your overpaid tax, you will have to claim it yourself by contacting HMRC – either way, nothing feels better than a bit of extra cash rolling in unexpectedly.

Find out when you are due a tax rebate and how to claim a refund below.

When am I due a tax rebate?

This will differ depending on whether you are full-time employed or self-employed.

Full-time employed (PAYE):
  • You start a new job, and you get an emergency tax code
  • HMRC sends the wrong tax code to your employer
  • Your employer didn’t use the correct tax code
  • You have more than one PAYE job
  • Your company benefits change: certain employee perks (company car, health insurance, etc.) are taxable and can change your tax code
  • If you had some expenses for work, for example washing your uniform or clothing, etc. You can claim these back
Other less common situations:
  • You can sometimes pay too much tax on savings interest
  • You’re a pensioner with more than one pension
  • Your state benefits change
  • You stopped working

How do I check if I’m due a tax rebate?

How do I claim it?

Claiming a tax refund depends on your situation:

Bare in mind that a tax rebate is different from tax relief.

TaxScouts Newsletter

Want regular tips from us?

Sign up for important updates, deadline reminders and basic tax hacks sent straight to your inbox.

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.