⚠️ Hey, you are using an outdated web browser.
TaxScouts might not work with your browser. Upgrade here

Cheaper, faster CIS tax rebates

This is no time to overpay for your CIS rebate. Get a better deal with TaxScouts. Free to sign up.

  • Flat £119 fee
  • Fast, online service
  • Average £2,000 refund

CIS rebate

Pay just £119 up front

Or pay £239 when you get your rebate. That’s it! Why pay more to claim back your money?

Sent to HMRC fast 

Get started from your phone in just minutes. Often submitted to HMRC within 24 hours!

Get more money back

Our accountant partners know CIS. Get back an average rebate of £2,000!

Calculate your CIS tax refund

How do you work in construction as?
Are you registered for CIS?
Did you have work related expenses (not counting travel)?
How did you travel to work?

If you work in construction, most likely your contractor takes a 20% flat from your pay and gives it to HMRC as part of the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS).

By doing your CIS tax return you can claim back what you spent on things like equipment, clothing, meals, and travel. Plus you get back your tax-free Personal Allowance!

That’s an average tax rebate of £2,000.

Things you can claim

There are a number of things that your TaxScouts accountant can help you expense on your CIS tax return to ensure you get back as much as possible:

  • Work travel
  • Some meals
  • Parking and tolls
  • Tools (and their cleaning and repair)
  • Protective clothing and gear
  • Public liability insurance
  • Phone bills
  • Home office – rent, stationary, postage
  • Professional memberships
  • Accountancy fees (including TaxScouts!)

Learn more

Just £119 up front

That’s right — pay just £119 up front for your CIS tax rebate. This is the fastest and cheapest way to get your money back from HMRC.

Or pay £239 from your rebate

We know things are a bit tight. You can pay £239 later from your rebate when it arrives. This can take a longer to get your money, but it helps if you don’t have cash to pay up front.

What you need to get started

It’s easy and quick to get started. Just answer a few questions about yourself and upload:

  • your CIS payslips from your contractor (or spreadsheet showing income), and
  • receipts (or bank statements) related to work-related expenses you want to claim

Common CIS questions

You’re not alone. If you’ve got a question about your CIS rebate we’ve probably heard it before and have an answer. Or we can walk you through what to do.

CIS guides and FAQs

What you need to do:

  1. Register for HMRC’s online service and enrol for self-employment
  2. You’ll get your Government Gateway ID (by email) and your UTR number (by post)
  3. Register for CIS at HMRC’s website using your Government Gateway ID
  4. Choose your CIS payment status – net pay or gross pay
  5. You’re done

If you don’t register for CIS, your contractor will send 30% of your pay to HMRC, instead of 20%.

You can read more about registering for CIS here

If you can’t find your receipts, don’t worry.

You can still claim a flat £1,000 allowance (called “the Trading Allowance”) so you can increase your CIS tax refund.

For most people, this is actually more than their expenses anyway, and we help you claim it all within our app.

Read more about the Trading Allowance here

There are a ton of CIS deductions you can use to increase your rebate:

  • your own tools and equipment, plus their repair – anything that is not already provided by your contractor, and which you bought for work
  • transport (including your own driving), meals at the contractor’s site
  • mobile phone bills, Builders Liability Insurance premiums
  • plus a few allowances: home office allowance, the mileage allowance, etc

You can read more about these CIS deductions here

One very important thing to keep in mind: if your expenses are under £1,000, don’t bother with them – just claim £1,000 as a flat, tax-free allowance. All self-employed people can use it.

The only things we need from you are:

  • CIS payslips from your contractor
  • any receipts related to expenses that you want to claim and your UTR number

Here is how you get your UTR

If you’re a construction worker working under the CIS (Construction Industry Scheme), you’re likely due a tax refund instead. That’s because your contractor is deducting 20% (or even 30%, if you’re not registered under CIS) from your pay, and sending it to HMRC. For most people this is more than they should be paying.

What you need to do: