⚠️ Hey, you are using an outdated web browser.
TaxScouts might not work with your browser. Upgrade here
🌟 New! Company tax returns Learn more

Self-employed tax made easy

We’ve got everything you need to stay on top of your tax game, all in one place.

  • Manage your business income and expenses
  • Get your tax return sorted and filed
  • Solve a tax-related problem once and for all
TaxScouts for self-employed

You’ve got tax questions and we’ve got the answers!

Here are some common questions we’ve gotten from self-employed like you.

If you’re earning any untaxed income within the tax year (6 April to 5 April), you need to report it to HMRC, regardless of the amount. If you earn more than your Personal Allowance of £12,570, you’ll need to start paying tax on your income.

The amount you pay depends on how much you make.

You’ll most likely only need to pay Income Tax and National Insurance, unless you have capital gains or anything else to report.

Learn more here.

The tax return filing and payment deadline is the 31st of January the year after the tax year you’re paying for.

However, your tax bill will actually be split in two so you’ll only have to pay half your bill on 31st Jan and pay the second half on 31st July.

Side hustles are considered another form of work alongside your main employment. Because it’s untaxed income, you need to declare it to HMRC.

However, everyone in the UK has a tax-free Trading Allowance of £1,000. If you earn less than this, you don’t need to report your untaxed income to HMRC. 

If you do earn more than £1,000, you’ll need to file a Self Assessment tax return and pay tax.

A contractor, someone who works for a client or company, can either be self-employed or an employee of an umbrella company

If you’re self-employed and are a sole trader, you can file a tax return to report your income.

If you work for a client through your own limited company and pay yourself a salary, you’ll pay tax via PAYE.

If you only pay yourself via dividends, you’ll need to file a tax return and pay dividend tax

If you work for an agency or umbrella company, you’re an employee and will pay tax through PAYE.

Anything you buy for work, that you only use for work, can be deducted as an expense from your income. 

These include things like:

  • Parking costs
  • Car lease payments
  • Mileage
  • Insurance and repairs
  • Breakdown cover
  • Work phone bill 

And more! Check out our delivery driver tax guide for all the information you need.

If you’re part of the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS), you’ll only need to pay 20% tax. 

If you’re not registered, you’ll pay 30% tax. 

It’s mandatory for contractors to register for CIS but as a subcontractor, you can choose. 

Learn how to register here.

You’ll have to pay Income Tax and National Insurance (Class 2 and Class 4). 

You do this by filing a tax return with HMRC to declare all your income. 

If you have side hustles alongside your regular work or capital gains, those will be subject to additional taxes too.

Yes, you can! 

You can claim things like office rent, office decorations, work laptop/phone, protective gear for construction work, uniforms, fuel, and lots more!

Get the full list and all the details in our guide.

We’ve got you!

Whether you want your tax return sorted and filed, expert tax advice, or everything in one plus somewhere to manage your business finances, we’re the one for you.
TaxScouts - Tax Returns service

Stress-free tax returns

Get your tax return sorted and filed by an accredited accountant. Paying tax as a self-employed person has never been easier. Just £169, all in.

  • Claim all your business expenses
  • Simple, fast, 100% online
  • Filed in as little as 48 hours


Start my tax return


Or learn more

TaxScouts - Tax Advice service

Professional 1:1 tax advice

Get expert tax advice from an accredited accountant, no matter how complicated! Just £139, all in.

  • A clear understanding of your tax situation
  • Confidential, 1:1 consultation with an accredited accountant
  • Chat by phone or video call with follow up written summary



Book now


Or learn more

Bundle and save!

Bundle both services in one and save £39. Just £269, all in! Make the most of your income with the help of professionals.

  • Get matched with your accredited tax accountant
  • A 1-1 tax consultation and your tax return filed
  • Support to save on your tax bill


Get started


Or learn more

Free bookkeeping tools

Now you can manage your business admin, finances, and taxes all in one place.

  • Create, personalise and send invoices
  • Link your bank account to track your income and expenses
  • Scan, upload and organise receipts


Try now – free forever


Or learn more

You’re in good hands

100,000+ tax returns filed

We’ve helped thousands of people sort their taxes

TaxScouts - accredited accountants

Qualified accountants

Regulated by the major UK accounting bodies

TaxScouts reviews

Rated 4.8 on Trustpilot

Our users love us and they’re not afraid to let people know

Let’s get your taxes sorted today

Taxes as they should be done

Which service is right for me?

You can get the personal tax services we offer separately or bundle them and save £39. Here’s how they compare, and what you get with each:

Tax return
Tax advice
Tax bundle
Price (all in, fixed fee)
Price (all in, fixed fee)
Matched with an accredited accountant
Matched with an accredited accountant
Self Assessment sorted & filed
Self Assessment sorted & filed
Support to save on your tax bill
Support to save on your tax bill
1-1 tax advice consultation by phone or video
1-1 tax advice consultation by phone or video
Written summary of your tax advice consultation
Written summary of your tax advice consultation
More details
TaxScouts for self-employed

Hand over your taxes (and stress) to the professionals

You’ve got a lot to juggle – why add stress to the pile? Our accredited accountants will file your tax return correctly, making sure you’ve claimed all eligible expenses, and help you untangle any tax problems.

Get started