⚠️ Hey, you are using an outdated web browser.
TaxScouts might not work with your browser. Upgrade here
🌟 New! Company tax returns Learn more

UK tax for expats made easy

Expats, we’ve got everything you need to sort your UK taxes. Plus, jargon-free explanations and specialised support along the way!

  • Understand the ins and outs of expat tax
  • Get your tax return sorted and filed
  • Tax advice from an accredited tax accountant
Expats Tax Returns - TaxScouts

You’ve got tax questions and we’ve got the answers!

Here are some common questions we’ve gotten from expats like you.

HMRC will consider you a UK resident if either you:

  • Spent 183 days or more in the UK during a tax year
  • Owned or rented your only home for 90 days or more in the UK, and spent at least 30 days there

The double taxation agreement (DTA) is an agreement between two countries that prevents you from paying tax twice on the same income. 

Here’s a list of the countries that have a DTA with the UK.

HMRC will tax your global income so you need to include both (UK and foreign) on your UK Self Assessment tax return

If the foreign income isn’t from a country with a DTA with the UK, then you’ll have to pay tax in both countries. 

If the foreign income is from a country with a DTA with the UK, you can claim it back as tax relief on your UK tax return.

In this case, you’ll need to file a UK Self Assessment tax return. You only need to include and pay tax on the income you earned in the UK

If your country of residence has a DTA with the UK, you can usually claim the UK tax paid back.  

You can also choose to stay a non-resident by claiming the remittance basis. You’ll still need to pay UK tax on UK income but not on your foreign income, which will be taxed in its country of origin.

Remittance basis means that you won’t have to pay UK tax on foreign earnings as long as you don’t bring them into a UK bank account. 

You give up your tax-free allowances in the UK when you claim the remittance basis.

A non-domiciled person, or a non-dom, is a person who is living in the UK, but considers their permanent home to not be the UK. 

Read more about what tax implications come with being non-dom here.

HMRC have announced a change for PAYE high earners. If you earn less than £150k from your PAYE salary, you will not have to file a UK tax return in the 2023/24 tax year.

You’ll still need to file a tax return if you earned £100k or more during the 2022/23 tax year.

We’ve got you!

Whether you want your tax return sorted and filed, expert tax advice on your situation, or both – we’re the one for you. Let our professionals handle it all – no mistakes, no worries.
TaxScouts - Tax Returns service

Stress-free tax returns

Get your tax return sorted and filed by an accredited accountant. Managing tax as an expat just got easier! £169, all in.

  • Understanding UK tax and all its complexities
  • Simple, fast, 100% online
  • Filed in as little as 48 hours


Start my tax return


Or learn more

TaxScouts - Tax Advice service

Professional 1:1 tax advice

Get expert tax advice from an accredited accountant, no matter how complicated! Just £139, all in.

  • Expert advice on your situation as an expat
  • Confidential, 1:1 consultation with an accredited accountant
  • Chat by phone or video call with a follow up written summary


Book now


Or learn more

Bundle and save!

Bundle both services in one and save £39. Just £269, all in! Make the most of your income with the help of professionals.

  • Get matched with your accredited tax accountant
  • A 1-1 tax consultation and your tax return filed
  • Support to save on your tax bill


Get started


Or learn more

You’re in good hands

100,000+ tax returns filed

We’ve helped thousands of people sort their taxes

TaxScouts - accredited accountants

Qualified accountants

Regulated by the major UK accounting bodies

TaxScouts reviews

Rated 4.8 on Trustpilot

Our users love us and they’re not afraid to let people know

Let’s get your taxes sorted today

Taxes as they should be done

Which service is right for me?

You can get the personal tax services we offer separately or bundle them and save £39. Here’s how they compare, and what you get with each:

Tax return
Tax advice
Tax bundle
Price (all in, fixed fee)
Price (all in, fixed fee)
Matched with an accredited accountant
Matched with an accredited accountant
Self Assessment sorted & filed
Self Assessment sorted & filed
Support to save on your tax bill
Support to save on your tax bill
1-1 tax advice consultation by phone or video
1-1 tax advice consultation by phone or video
Written summary of your tax advice consultation
Written summary of your tax advice consultation
More details
Expats Tax - TaxScouts

Navigate UK taxes with confidence

Know you’re getting the best help possible when it comes to understanding and sorting your UK finances and related tax commitments. We’ll do everything for you, so you don’t need to bother with the hassle.

Get started