PAYE (Pay As You Earn): how does it work?

We've updated this guide on 6th August 2019

What is PAYE?

PAYE basically means paying income tax and national insurance (NI) through your wages.

Every time you’re paid, your employer takes your tax and NI from your wages and sends it to HMRC. 

Other things that you might be paying via PAYE are:

  • student loan repayments
  • and pension contributions.

What documents will I receive?

DocumentWhat it showsWhen you get it
PayslipIncome Tax
National Insurance
student loans
pension contributions
your tax code
P60the Income Tax that your employer paid last yearin April
(for the tax year that just ended)
P45samewhen you leave a job
Notice of codingyour new tax codeJanuary or February
(for the following year starting in April, and only if you’re claiming tax reliefs or paying other taxes through PAYE)

How is my PAYE income tax calculated?

Until you earn over £12,500, you don’t pay any income tax – this is called the Personal Allowance.

Whatever you earn over this amount will be taxed like this:

  • 20% on anything you earn between £12,500 and £50,000
  • 40% on anything you earn between £50,000 and £150,000
  • 45% on anything you earn over that.

Besides income tax, about 12% of your wages will go to National Insurance – use our net salary calculator to see how much you should have at the end of the month.

I think I’ve paid too much, can I claim tax back?


HMRC uses a tax code to tell your employer how much tax to deduct from your wages.

A tax code is made of a number followed by a letter:

  • the number shows how much Personal Allowance you’re getting
  • the letter shows what kind of taxpayer you are.

Don’t worry about understanding all the letters (here is a longer guide on the tax code if you’re curious), just remember that in the 2019/20 tax year, the most common tax code is 1250L.

Basically, if your tax code is not 1250L, contact HMRC – you might be due a tax rebate.

I’m also self-employed, how do I pay tax?

If you’re have a side gig besides your full-time job, you need to pay tax on this income by filing a Self Assessment tax return.

If you earn less than £1,000 from self-employment, don’t worry – it’s tax-free and you don’t need to report it.

I’m a pensioner, how do I pay tax?

Your pension provider will pay tax in a way similar to PAYE – in most cases you don’t need to worry about doing a tax return.

This page from the UK Government shows it works and how much you can take out of your pensions pots tax-free.

Do I need to file a tax return?

Most people in full-time jobs who only have PAYE income never have to bother with tax returns.

The only times when you need to submit a Self Assessment tax return are:

If you’re not sure which one applies to you, read our guide to who needs to file a tax return here – it’s a long list.

If you do need to file a tax return, our certified accountants can do it for you 100% online and for a flat £119.

Need help with your tax return?

Get your self assessment prepared for you online by certified accountants for £119

Online self assessment preparation assisted by professional accountants

How TaxScouts works

Simple online tax assessment

1. Simple online tax assessment

Our online tax-bot will go over your tax situation and will make sure you won’t overpay your taxes.

Chat to human advisors

2. Chat to human advisors

You can talk to one of our tax assistants at any time during the process when you have any questions.

We’ll sort your documents online

3. We’ll sort your documents online

We’ll tell you exactly what documents you need and sort them for you online. You just upload them or snap a picture with your phone.

Everything gets prepared for you

4. Everything gets prepared for you

Your certified accountant will go over your details & prepare your tax return for you to review. It will be filed on your behalf once you approve it.

I will happily recommend them and frankly don't care if Marcus is real or a room full of whirring AI - TaxScouts is brilliant.
Andy B
"A quick and reliable service"
My self assessment tax return completed within 2-3 days. I'll definitely be using TaxScouts again and recommend to family and friends.
"Mad not to use it"
Took all of the hassle out of doing a tax return. You would be mad not too use this service.

Who our service is for

First time tax filers

We have a simple online service that guides you through the entire process. Regardless of your reasons for doing your tax return we'll help you get it done right.

Construction workers

We'll prepare your self assessment and help to maximise your CIS tax refund. We have the lowest fees in the industry and you don't have to pay up front if you're eligible for a refund.

People living overseas

Our service allows people living abroad to prepare their income tax return online. We are able to process all returns regardless of your current country of residence.

Company directors

UK company directors are required to file their self assessment annually. TaxScouts handles this through a simple online process.


Long Lets, Airbnb, Capital Gains. TaxScouts will sort out your self assessment and take away the worry of tracking all the recent tax changes.


TaxScouts ensures the self employed don't overpay on their taxes. We'll help you benefit from all the tax breaks and deductions that can be applied to your return.

And for everyone else who needs to do their self assessment

At TaxScouts we appreciate that tax returns are highly individual. Before you get assigned an accountant we make sure to understand your circumstances and help you build your optimal tax profile.

Let's start by creating your account

What happens next

  • We'll ask you a couple of short questions
  • Then we'll tell you what documents we need
  • Finally one of our qualified accountants will file your tax return