The most important HMRC contact numbers

We've updated this guide on 25th June 2019

HMRC has over 130 phone lines, but most of them are not relevant for everyday taxpayers.

This is a list of the most important ones.

For questions about your Self Assessment:

  • Inside UK: 0300 200 3310
  • Outside UK: +44 161 931 9070

You’ll need your National Insurance and UTR numbers.

For questions about Income Tax, Capital Gains Tax, and most tax reliefs

  • Inside UK: 0300 200 3300
  • Outside UK: +44 135 535 9022

You’ll probably need your National Insurance and UTR numbers.

For questions about CIS registration and rebates

  • Inside UK: 0300 200 3210
  • Outside UK: +44 161 930 8706

If you’re not sure if you’re employed or self-employed

  • Only from inside the UK: 0300 123 2326

For questions about National Insurance

  • Inside UK: 0300 200 3500
  • Outside UK: + 44 191 203 7010

If you need HMRC online technical support

  • Inside UK: 0300 200 3600
  • Outside UK: +44 161 930 8445

For other situations

For all other special situations (for example, child benefit, tax credits, non-resident landlord taxes, etc.), check this complete (130!) list of phone numbers on HMRC’s website.

Need help with your tax return?

Get your self assessment prepared for you online by certified accountants for £119

Online self assessment preparation assisted by professional accountants

How TaxScouts works

Simple online tax assessment

1. Simple online tax assessment

Our online tax-bot will go over your tax situation and will make sure you won’t overpay your taxes.

Chat to human advisors

2. Chat to human advisors

You can talk to one of our tax assistants at any time during the process when you have any questions.

We’ll sort your documents online

3. We’ll sort your documents online

We’ll tell you exactly what documents you need and sort them for you online. You just upload them or snap a picture with your phone.

Everything gets prepared for you

4. Everything gets prepared for you

Your certified accountant will go over your details & prepare your tax return for you to review. It will be filed on your behalf once you approve it.

"I was very sceptical hitting the pay…"
…but my accountant did absolutely everything and took all of the hassle out of doing a tax return.
Wesley Thompson
"Absolutely outstanding"
Very quick turnaround, all my questions answered almost immediately and brilliant value.
Aimee J
"Very fast"
Very fast and gave good advice I will be using every year
Wayne L

Who our service is for

First time tax filers

We have a simple online service that guides you through the entire process. Regardless of your reasons for doing your tax return we'll help you get it done right.

Construction workers

We'll prepare your self assessment and help to maximise your CIS tax refund. We have the lowest fees in the industry and you don't have to pay up front if you're eligible for a refund.

People living overseas

Our service allows people living abroad to prepare their income tax return online. We are able to process all returns regardless of your current country of residence.

Company directors

UK company directors are required to file their self assessment annually. TaxScouts handles this through a simple online process.


Long Lets, Airbnb, Capital Gains. TaxScouts will sort out your self assessment and take away the worry of tracking all the recent tax changes.


TaxScouts ensures the self employed don't overpay on their taxes. We'll help you benefit from all the tax breaks and deductions that can be applied to your return.

And for everyone else who needs to do their self assessment

At TaxScouts we appreciate that tax returns are highly individual. Before you get assigned an accountant we make sure to understand your circumstances and help you build your optimal tax profile.

Let's start by creating your account

What happens next

  • We'll ask you a couple of short questions
  • Then we'll tell you what documents we need
  • Finally one of our qualified accountants will file your tax return