We sort your Self Assessment for you. £119, all in.

Fast, effortless and 100% online.

We sort your Self Assessment for you. £119, all in.

What documents do I need to file my tax return?

We've updated this guide on 7th June 2021

The documents TaxScouts needs from you so we can file your tax return depends on two things:

1. Self-employment

  • Income records: we can use either invoices or even a list of your transactions recorded in a simple spreadsheet
  • Expenses: again, either receipts or a spreadsheet can work.

NOTE: you can also use bank statements, as long as you highlight the direct business expenses.

If you were both employed and self-employed during the tax year, then you’ll also need a P60 form.

2. Construction Industry Scheme

  • CIS statements or payslips: any documents showing how much you earned and how much tax your contractor has paid
  • Any receipts for expenses related to work, such as transportation costs and equipment costs.

You can also check out our guide on what expenses you can claim so you can increase your CIS refund.

3. Property income

  • You can upload a summary of any rental income and expenses recorded in a spreadsheet directly to our system.
  • You can also upload receipts from any expenditure related directly to the property rental.

You can read more about what the allowable property expenses here.

4. Capital gains

We will need to know:

  • when you bought the asset and for how much
  • when you sold it and for how much.

Check out our handy capital gain tax calculator for further information on how much you can expect to pay.

5. Employed (PAYE)

  • P60 End of Year Tax Certificate or P45 details of employee leaving
  • P11D Expenses and Benefits (only needed if you have private health insurance).

6. Donations, pension contributions, and SEIS/EIS investments

  • Donations: the amount, date, and charity of donation either in document form or a spreadsheet (keep your receipts for tax records)
  • Pension contributions: spreadsheet or other documents that show them
  • SEIS/EIS investments: your SEIS3/EIS3 certificates or your share certificates. Check out our guides on how to claim your SEIS and how to claim your EIS.

This sounds like a long list of tax return documents.

However, in most cases, a simple spreadsheet of your income, expenses, or even a bank statement might be sufficient.

Ask our support team if they can help.

Want regular tips from us?

Sign up for important updates, deadline reminders and basic tax hacks sent straight to your inbox.


We sort your Self Assessment for you. £119, all in.

Fast, effortless and done for you online – the way tax returns should be done. Free to sign up.