The P60 form: how to get one for your Self Assessment tax return

We've updated this guide on 29th July 2019

A P60 form is a statement that summarises how much tax your employer paid.

Your employer should give you one at the end of each tax year (31st of May).

Most employers do it by the end of April when they run their monthly payroll.

What’s in a P60 form

  • your National Insurance number
  • how much you earned in a given tax year (gross income)
  • how much tax and NI your employer has paid
  • your details and your employer’s
  • and your Tax Code

What does a P60 form look like

There is no standard format for a P60 (each may seem a bit different), but the minimum information on it is always the same.

Your employer provides this information to HMRC. Based on this information, HMRC makes their tax calculations.

You should keep your P60 for your tax records.

What do you need a P60 for

  • to prepare your annual Self Assessment tax return
  • for your tax records and tax disputes
  • sometimes when dealing with banks (proof of income for mortgages, personal loans, credit card applications, etc.

TaxScouts can get your Self Assessment done without a P60, as long as you have access to your HMRC Government Gateway.

Need help with your tax return?

Get your self assessment prepared for you online by certified accountants for £119

Online self assessment preparation assisted by professional accountants

How TaxScouts works

Simple online tax assessment

1. Simple online tax assessment

Our online tax-bot will go over your tax situation and will make sure you won’t overpay your taxes.

Chat to human advisors

2. Chat to human advisors

You can talk to one of our tax assistants at any time during the process when you have any questions.

We’ll sort your documents online

3. We’ll sort your documents online

We’ll tell you exactly what documents you need and sort them for you online. You just upload them or snap a picture with your phone.

Everything gets prepared for you

4. Everything gets prepared for you

Your certified accountant will go over your details & prepare your tax return for you to review. It will be filed on your behalf once you approve it.

"Smooth and easy process"
Smooth and easy process. Will use every year! Very helpful staff as well!
Oliver J W
"I was very sceptical hitting the pay…"
…but my accountant did absolutely everything and took all of the hassle out of doing a tax return.
Wesley Thompson
"A quick and reliable service"
My self assessment tax return completed within 2-3 days. I'll definitely be using TaxScouts again and recommend to family and friends.

Who our service is for

First time tax filers

We have a simple online service that guides you through the entire process. Regardless of your reasons for doing your tax return we'll help you get it done right.

Construction workers

We'll prepare your self assessment and help to maximise your CIS tax refund. We have the lowest fees in the industry and you don't have to pay up front if you're eligible for a refund.

People living overseas

Our service allows people living abroad to prepare their income tax return online. We are able to process all returns regardless of your current country of residence.

Company directors

UK company directors are required to file their self assessment annually. TaxScouts handles this through a simple online process.


Long Lets, Airbnb, Capital Gains. TaxScouts will sort out your self assessment and take away the worry of tracking all the recent tax changes.


TaxScouts ensures the self employed don't overpay on their taxes. We'll help you benefit from all the tax breaks and deductions that can be applied to your return.

And for everyone else who needs to do their self assessment

At TaxScouts we appreciate that tax returns are highly individual. Before you get assigned an accountant we make sure to understand your circumstances and help you build your optimal tax profile.

Let's start by creating your account

What happens next

  • We'll ask you a couple of short questions
  • Then we'll tell you what documents we need
  • Finally one of our qualified accountants will file your tax return