⚠️ Hey, you are using an outdated web browser.
TaxScouts might not work with your browser. Upgrade here

Let us sort your Self Assessment online. £119, all in. Learn more


A payslip is a note that your employer gives you when you’ve been paid.

You only get one if you’re an employee – if you’re self-employed or a contractor you get paid through an invoice, CIS statement, etc.

What you can see on your payslip:

  • your salary, bonus, and overtime
  • how much Income Tax and National Insurance your employer deducted and sent to HMRC
  • student loan repayments
  • pension contributions
  • other things like Save As You Earn contributions, payroll giving donations, etc.
  • your net pay (what you’re left with)
  • and also your tax code and NI number.

You’ll need a payslip:

  • when you’re asked for a proof of income, for example when buying a house or renting a new place
  • or when you’re filing a Self Assessment tax return.

Hey there! We really hope this article helped you. Tax matters can be a dreadful topic at times. We know. That's why we started TaxScouts.
A stress-free way to getting your taxes done.

Have a minute? See how it works

More guides & useful information

Let us sort your Self Assessment online. £119, all in.

That’s right. No matter how complicated it gets or why you need to do a return in the first place, it’ll cost £119 to get it done. That includes VAT, last-minute changes and all the support you may need.

How it works

1. Answer a few simple questions

And we mean a few. After a couple of minutes of answering questions online we’ll have everything we need to start working on your tax return.

2. Then get paired with a tax accountant

That’s right, you’ll be matched with a real accountant who is best suited to prepare your return. Plus, they’re on hand for questions whenever you need.

3. We file your Self Assessment for you

Once you’ve signed off your return, your TaxScouts accountant will file your return online with HMRC. That’s it! We told you it was simple.