An invoice is a bill that you can give to your customers, asking them to pay for the goods or services that you sold to them.
If you’re self-employed, an invoice should include:
- your address and contact details
- a unique number (the number of the invoice) – this is up to you to decide
- the date when you expect the customer to pay
- the quantity, description, and price for each good or service that you provided
- the total price
- and, of course, your bank account information
If you’ve also registered for VAT, then the invoice needs to include more detail – read more about VAT invoices on HMRC’s website.
Also, it might be worth knowing that you can issue an invoice either before or after you’ve supplied your customer with a good or service.