We sort your Self Assessment for you. £119, all in.

Fast, effortless and 100% online.

We sort your Self Assessment for you. £119, all in.

Setting up as a sole trader: frequent questions

We've updated this guide on 19th May 2021

We know that setting up as a sole trader can be confusing, so we put together this list of answers to questions you might have.

1. How do I know if I need to set up as a sole trader?

  • You earned over £1,000 from self-employment in the past tax year
  • You need to prove that you’re self-employed, for example to claim Tax-Free Childcare
  • You want to make voluntary National Insurance contributions so you can qualify for benefits.

2. Is self-employed the same as sole trader?


  • “Self-employed” means that you do not work for an employer and you don’t pay tax through PAYE
  • “Sole trader” is the formal name for your self-employed business
  • In short, they’re the same thing.

3. Can I be both employed and self-employed?


For example: Nadia works for Starbucks in the morning and is an Uber driver in the evenings. She will have to file a tax return for her Uber income.

See more details about being both employed and self-employed here.

4. When do I need to register?

You can register after you’ve earned your first £1,000 from self-employment. The “hard deadline” is 5th October of your second tax year.

If you earn less than £1,000 in the tax year, you don’t need to do a tax return.

5. Can I register in advance?

The earliest you can register is within 28 days before starting your work.

6. Do I need to register every year?


If you have to send a tax return but did not send one last year, you need to re-register for Self Assessment and Class 2 National Insurance.

If, on the other hand, you’re looking to stop being a sole trader, you need to let HMRC know – otherwise, they’ll still expect a tax return.

7. How should I name my sole trader business?

You can trade under your own name if you want, or you can choose another name.

8. Do I also need to register for VAT?

Only if:

  • Your turnover will be over £85,000 (the “VAT threshold”), or
  • You sell to other VAT-registered businesses and want to reclaim VAT.

Want regular tips from us?

Sign up for important updates, deadline reminders and basic tax hacks sent straight to your inbox.


We sort your Self Assessment for you. £119, all in.

Fast, effortless and done for you online – the way tax returns should be done. Free to sign up.