How to stop being self-employed

We've updated this guide on 10th July 2019

If you want to stop being self-employed, you have to let HMRC know as soon as possible.

Otherwise they’ll still expect you to file a Self Assessment tax return.

How to tell HMRC I’m no longer self-employed?

Two ways:

  • try calling HMRC on 0300 200 3310
  • if you were working in construction (CIS), call 0300 200 3210 instead
  • you can also fill out this online form
  • or mention it in your Self Assessment tax return (simply tick a box).

You will need:

What happens if you don’t tell HMRC:

  • they’ll keep sending you a tax return every year
  • you can’t ignore them: you’ll be fined (about £1,600 if you’re a year late)
  • HMRC will also create an “estimated tax bill” for you – it’s legally due and you can only cancel it within 3 years.

Do I still need to file a Self Assessment tax return?


What you need to include on your last Self Assessment tax return:

What happens once you de-register

What you have to do:

  • file your last (as a self-employed) tax return (see above)
  • pay any income tax and National Insurance that you owe
  • if you are registered for VAT, cancel your VAT registration here
  • keep your documents (receipts, invoices, etc) for 6 years
  • make sure that HMRC has your correct address for the 12 months after you file your tax return.

What HMRC will do:

Can TaxScouts help?


We can:

Need help with your tax return?

Get your self assessment prepared for you online by certified accountants for £119

Online self assessment preparation assisted by professional accountants

How TaxScouts works

Simple online tax assessment

1. Simple online tax assessment

Our online tax-bot will go over your tax situation and will make sure you won’t overpay your taxes.

Chat to human advisors

2. Chat to human advisors

You can talk to one of our tax assistants at any time during the process when you have any questions.

We’ll sort your documents online

3. We’ll sort your documents online

We’ll tell you exactly what documents you need and sort them for you online. You just upload them or snap a picture with your phone.

Everything gets prepared for you

4. Everything gets prepared for you

Your certified accountant will go over your details & prepare your tax return for you to review. It will be filed on your behalf once you approve it.

"I will not shut up about you guys!"
Tax return filed within 24h... No forever back and forth emails. I am totally in love and recommending you to everyone. Fact!
"Brilliant service"
Surprised by how easy the process was. Additionally it's saved me money, so all round a win.
Jo B
"A quick and reliable service"
My self assessment tax return completed within 2-3 days. I'll definitely be using TaxScouts again and recommend to family and friends.

Who our service is for

First time tax filers

We have a simple online service that guides you through the entire process. Regardless of your reasons for doing your tax return we'll help you get it done right.

Construction workers

We'll prepare your self assessment and help to maximise your CIS tax refund. We have the lowest fees in the industry and you don't have to pay up front if you're eligible for a refund.

People living overseas

Our service allows people living abroad to prepare their income tax return online. We are able to process all returns regardless of your current country of residence.

Company directors

UK company directors are required to file their self assessment annually. TaxScouts handles this through a simple online process.


Long Lets, Airbnb, Capital Gains. TaxScouts will sort out your self assessment and take away the worry of tracking all the recent tax changes.


TaxScouts ensures the self employed don't overpay on their taxes. We'll help you benefit from all the tax breaks and deductions that can be applied to your return.

And for everyone else who needs to do their self assessment

At TaxScouts we appreciate that tax returns are highly individual. Before you get assigned an accountant we make sure to understand your circumstances and help you build your optimal tax profile.