We sort your Self Assessment for you. £169, all in.

Fast, effortless and 100% online.  Learn more

We sort your Self Assessment for you. £169, all in.

How to claim your EIS tax relief?

  • 3 min read
  • Last updated 9 Jan 2023

Maybe you’ve invested in an EIS qualifying company or perhaps you’ve invested in a knowledge intensive fund or two? Now you’re getting ready to claim EIS and receive a whopping 30% of your investment back as an EIS tax relief.

What better feeling!? 

But now you’re probably wondering, how do I actually go about claiming? Well, let’s have a look..

What is EIS?

First of all, EIS stands for Enterprise Investment Scheme. It is one of the four government schemes designed to help small companies grow. 

The others are:

The EIS is authorised and regulated by the financial conduct authority.

For a company to be EIS eligible, it must meet this criteria:

  • Permanent establishment in the United Kingdom
  • Isn’t trading on a recognised stock exchange
  • Has less than £15 million in gross assets
  • Has less than 250 full-time employees
  • Doesn’t control any other companies (exceptions apply)
  • Has no plans to close in the foreseeable future

Read more about this here.

Information you need to have to claim EIS

Before doing anything, make sure you have these bits of information to hand:

  • The names of the companies that you invested into
  • The date on which the shares were issued to your name
  • Amounts you invested in each company 
  • The HMRC office that authorised the issue of the EIS3 certificate

Where you can get this information

1. Your EIS3 certificate

After the company you invested in has been trading for 4 months, they will request the EIS3 certificates from HMRC, and then distribute these certificates to their investors – i.e. you.

If you used an agency or platform for your EIS investments then you should receive the EIS3 certificate from them instead.

This certificate contains key information needed to claim your tax relief with your self assessment, including the time and amount of investment.

2. Your Share Certificate

This is the document that proves you’re a shareholder in the business.

Normally the company you invested in must have also issued you one before you receive your EIS3 certificate.

What you need to do next

When you’re filing your annual income tax return you must claim the EIS tax relief by filling in the “other tax reliefs” section on your Additional Information (SA101) pages.

Enter the total amount invested on section 2 of that page:

At the bottom of this page you’ll need to provide the information that is listed at the top of this article for each company you invested in:

🔥 Risk warning: before making any investment decisions, consider the full risk and seek investment or tax advice where necessary. 

Still a bit unsure?

We know just how stressful the process of claiming any sort of tax relief in your self assessment can be. That’s why we at TaxScouts are more than happy to take care of this for you. Just leave it to us!

TaxScouts Newsletter

Want regular tips from us?

Sign up for important updates, deadline reminders and basic tax hacks sent straight to your inbox.

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.