Social Investment Tax Relief (SITR)
Social Investment Tax Relief (SITR) is a scheme that can help you save on tax and also make a difference by investing in charities or businesses with a social impact.
Tax reliefs that you get if you invest in SITRs:
- 30% Income Tax relief: applies to your entire investment, regardless if you invested in shares or loans
- 0% Capital Gains Tax (CGT): only for shares – loans don’t qualify
- 100% Capital loss relief: also only for shares
- 100% Inheritance Tax free if you held the shares for 2 years
- and you can also defer your CGT if you reinvest in another set of SITR shares.
SITR is one of the many tax efficient investments in the UK – others are SEIS, EIS, VCT, CITR, ISA, and SIPP.
If you’ve invested in SITR-eligible enterprises, you can also check out our guide to claiming your Social Investment Tax Relief here.
Hey there! We really hope this article helped you. Tax matters can be a dreadful topic at times. We know. That's why we started TaxScouts.
A stress-free way to getting your taxes done.
Have a minute? See how it works