10% off Self Assessment this July. Just 169 £152.

Limited time only. T&Cs apply.  Learn more

10% off Self Assessment this July. Just <s>169</s> £152.

HMRC CIS login

  • 2 min read

An HMRC CIS login is what you need to log in to your Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) account.  You’ll need to use this service if you’re a contractor or subcontractor working in the construction industry, so make sure you’re registered for the Construction Industry Scheme.

What is CIS and how does it work?

If you work in the construction industry as a subcontractor in the UK, the CIS enables you to deduct only 20% tax (rather than 30%) per month from your earnings. You’ll be paid by a contractor who will deduct this for you. HMRC introduced it to keep a more stringent track of the untaxed finances of those working in the construction industry.

Example of how CIS works:

London Glazing Co. hires Jane Smith on their site as a subcontractor. Every month Jane is owed £1,500 pounds for her work.

  1. Every month the company pays £300 (20% of the £1,500) to HMRC as Jane’s taxes
  2. The company sends a CIS statement or payslip to Jane as proof
  3. The company pays the remaining £1,200 to Jane as payment for her work.

How do I join?

You can register as a sole trader (or other types of businesses) by going direct to HMRC online. You’ll need your:

  • National Insurance Number
  • VAT number (if your business is VAT registered)
  • Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) number 
  • Legal business name

Where do I find the HMRC CIS login?

It’s simple, just head over to HMRC online to sign in! You can sign in to your CIS account here.

What if I’m owed a CIS refund?

Sometimes, the 20% in tax works out to be more than you need to pay, so you may be entitled to a refund at the start of the new tax year. If you’re entitled to a CIS refund, you can claim it back by completing a Self Assessment tax return.

The tax will be refunded to you by HMRC, typically a few weeks after you submit your return. You can use our CIS calculator to work out how much you might be able to claim back.

Need to file your CIS tax return?

Well, it’s your lucky day. Get your CIS tax return filed by an accredited accountant for just £169, all in. Due a tax refund? We’ll take payment from your rebate for £279 if you prefer not to pay in advance. Our CIS accountants have specialist knowledge of construction worker tax needs including what expenses you can claim, how to maximise your profit, and more. 

TaxScouts Newsletter

Want regular tips from us?

Sign up for important updates, deadline reminders and basic tax hacks sent straight to your inbox.

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.