We sort your Self Assessment for you. £169, all in.

Fast, effortless and 100% online.  Learn more

We sort your Self Assessment for you. £169, all in.
<- View all TaxScouts tax calculators

CIS Tax Rebate calculator

Construction worker? Quickly calculate how big your CIS tax rebate is and what expenses you can claim. Sometimes you can claim expenses even without receipts - use this calculator to see if you qualify.

Your situation

Outlined number oneImage of an arrow
In construction, your employment status is:


Outlined number two
    Select your employment status

What is the CIS tax rebate?

When you work in construction, you’re encouraged to join the Construction Industry Scheme (also known as CIS, by those in the trade👷). It’s a scheme used by HMRC to make sure those working in construction pay the correct amount of tax. When you work for a contractor, most will only take subcontractors on if they’re registered for CIS. 

When you’re not registered for the scheme, your contractor will automatically deduct 30% tax from your monthly wages. This is almost always more than you should owe. But when you’re part of the scheme, this automatic deduction is reduced to 20%.

However, even this 20% often works out to be more than you owe because it’s not based on a tax code. As a result, you usually end up being due a rebate. You claim this rebate through submitting a Self Assessment tax return. 

How much will I get back?

We’re glad you asked! That’s exactly why we have the calculator for you to use. 

Generally, construction workers claim back an average of roughly £2,000, but it depends on your individual earnings and expenses.

Using the tax refund calculator, you can estimate how much HMRC may owe you so you know what ballpark figure to expect. 

Expenses, you say?

Yes. When you’re self-employed, you can claim back your work spending so you only pay tax on your profits. This means if you spend money on your business or construction work, you can deduct the cost of this from your earnings when calculating tax. 

These expenses are often referred to as CIS deductions. It can be anything from supplies to equipment and more. It essentially means that you’re not paying tax on your overall income but only on the profits that you’ve made. 

Here are some examples of things that might be considered business spending by HMRC:

  • Vehicle expenses (e.g. fuel, repairs)
  • Tools (gloves, helmets, drills etc.)
  • Accounting costs
  • Marketing costs
  • Phone bill (for a work phone)
  • Builders’ liability insurance

Basically, you can deduct anything that you bought wholly, exclusively and necessarily for your business. Be aware though, you’re not allowed to expense the cost of your van. Instead, you can claim what’s known as the Mileage Allowance to cover the cost of petrol. If you want to know how much you can claim for this, use our handy Mileage Calculator.

Need to file your CIS tax return?

Well, it’s your lucky day. Get your CIS tax return filed by an accredited accountant for just £169, all in. Due a tax refund? We’ll take payment from your rebate for £279 if you prefer not to pay in advance. Our CIS accountants have specialist knowledge of construction worker tax needs.

Looking for tax help?

Or see our Guides, Calculators or Taxopedia

TaxScouts Newsletter

Want regular tips from us?

Sign up for important updates, deadline reminders and basic tax hacks sent straight to your inbox.

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.