How do I know I’m due a tax rebate?

We've updated this guide on 6th August 2019

“Being due a tax rebate” means that for some reason you paid more tax than you were supposed to. The good news is that now HMRC has to give it back to you. 

Sometimes they do it automatically, but most times you have to claim it yourself.

When am I due a tax rebate?

Full-time employed (PAYE)
  • you start a new job, and you get an emergency tax code
  • HMRC sends the wrong tax code to your employer
  • your employer didn’t use the correct tax code
  • you have more than one PAYE job
  • your company benefits change: certain employee perks (company car, health insurance, etc.) are taxable and can change your tax code
  • or if you had some expenses for work, for example washing your uniform or clothing, etc. You can claim these back.
Other less common situations
  • you can sometimes pay too much tax on savings interest
  • you’re a pensioner with more than one pension
  • or when your state benefits change.

How do I check if I’m due a tax rebate?

How do I claim it?

It depends on your situation, but:

Need help with your tax return?

Get your self assessment prepared for you online by certified accountants for £119

Online self assessment preparation assisted by professional accountants

How TaxScouts works

Simple online tax assessment

1. Simple online tax assessment

Our online tax-bot will go over your tax situation and will make sure you won’t overpay your taxes.

Chat to human advisors

2. Chat to human advisors

You can talk to one of our tax assistants at any time during the process when you have any questions.

We’ll sort your documents online

3. We’ll sort your documents online

We’ll tell you exactly what documents you need and sort them for you online. You just upload them or snap a picture with your phone.

Everything gets prepared for you

4. Everything gets prepared for you

Your certified accountant will go over your details & prepare your tax return for you to review. It will be filed on your behalf once you approve it.

"A quick and reliable service"
My self assessment tax return completed within 2-3 days. I'll definitely be using TaxScouts again and recommend to family and friends.
"I will not shut up about you guys!"
Tax return filed within 24h... No forever back and forth emails. I am totally in love and recommending you to everyone. Fact!
I will happily recommend them and frankly don't care if Marcus is real or a room full of whirring AI - TaxScouts is brilliant.
Andy B

Who our service is for

First time tax filers

We have a simple online service that guides you through the entire process. Regardless of your reasons for doing your tax return we'll help you get it done right.

Construction workers

We'll prepare your self assessment and help to maximise your CIS tax refund. We have the lowest fees in the industry and you don't have to pay up front if you're eligible for a refund.

People living overseas

Our service allows people living abroad to prepare their income tax return online. We are able to process all returns regardless of your current country of residence.

Company directors

UK company directors are required to file their self assessment annually. TaxScouts handles this through a simple online process.


Long Lets, Airbnb, Capital Gains. TaxScouts will sort out your self assessment and take away the worry of tracking all the recent tax changes.


TaxScouts ensures the self employed don't overpay on their taxes. We'll help you benefit from all the tax breaks and deductions that can be applied to your return.

And for everyone else who needs to do their self assessment

At TaxScouts we appreciate that tax returns are highly individual. Before you get assigned an accountant we make sure to understand your circumstances and help you build your optimal tax profile.

Let's start by creating your account

What happens next

  • We'll ask you a couple of short questions
  • Then we'll tell you what documents we need
  • Finally one of our qualified accountants will file your tax return