We sort your Self Assessment for you. £119, all in.

Fast, effortless and 100% online.

We sort your Self Assessment for you. £119, all in.

How to pay UK taxes when living abroad

We've updated this guide on 12th February 2021

The basic rule: when you live abroad, you still have to pay tax on any income that you earn from the UK.

Do I pay taxes in the UK if I live abroad?


You will pay taxes on:

  1. Wages/salary
  2. Pension
  3. Rental income (including Airbnb earnings)
  4. When you sell residential property in UK
  5. Savings interest and dividends.

How do I avoid double taxation?

The country you live in may also tax you on your UK income.

If your country of residence has a double-taxation agreement with the UK you can avoid this by claiming a tax relief in the UK — so you pay taxes only once.

What if a UK company employs me but I am resident elsewhere?

If a UK company employs you, but you live abroad (for example, a secondment), your employer can set you up as a non-resident employee:

  • you only have to pay the UK income tax on the fraction of the year you spent working in the UK
  • the remainder of your income is taxed in your home country.

Make sure to check with your employer.

How do I report and file my income from abroad?

You cannot directly use HMRC’s online services to file your tax return.

Your taxes have to be filed either by:

  • Using HMRC certified online software
  • Filling out paper forms and submitting them by post
  • Using a qualified tax accountant or an online tax service like  TaxScouts.

What if I live in the UK and have foreign income?

In this case, you might want to read our guide to paying tax on foreign income instead.

Want regular tips from us?

Sign up for important updates, deadline reminders and basic tax hacks sent straight to your inbox.


We sort your Self Assessment for you. £119, all in.

Fast, effortless and done for you online – the way tax returns should be done. Free to sign up.