Hosting on Airbnb: how much tax do you need to pay?

We've updated this guide on 24th July 2019

As a general rule, you will need to pay income tax at the usual rate on money earned from hosting on Airbnb.

Your actual tax bill will depend on a few things:

  • if you also live on the property or not
  • how much you earn from it
  • and how many days you’re hosting for.

I’m just listing a room in my own home

In this case it’s pretty simple.

As long as you also live on the property, if you earn under £7,500 from Airbnb, you don’t need to do anything.

If the property is owned jointly, the Rent-a-Room allowance is split between you two – but so is the Airbnb income, so the total tax is actually the same.

You can also choose to pay tax on your profits (earnings minus allowable expenses), if your Airbnb-related expenses are greater than £7,500.

I am running a proper Airbnb business

If you are listing a property that’s not your home, then you will be taxed just like regular business owners:

  • you’ll pay tax on Airbnb earnings minus allowable expenses (or the flat £1,000 trading allowance, whichever works best for you)
  • if your income from Airbnb is higher than £85,000, you need to register for VAT
  • and if your property is available to let for 140 days or more, it will also be subject to business rates (it’s different from income tax).

A special rule: if your property qualifies as a furnished holiday letting (this is what it means), you get a few tax advantages:

  • Entrepreneurs’ Relief: a 10% capital gains tax rate instead of the usual 28%
  • Rollover Relief: if you sell one Airbnb residence and buy another, you can defer capital gains tax on the sale of the initial property
  • capital allowances for property furniture and fittings: you normally can’t claim these against your rental income
  • plus your Airbnb profits will count as earnings for pension purposes.

Where can I find my Airbnb earnings documents?

In your Airbnb account.

Simply visit your Transaction History page.

Some areas have specific rules

  • London: you can only rent out of your own home for fewer than 90 nights. Airbnb currently automatically limits listings in London to 90 nights, unless you have permission to host more frequently
  • Glasgow: you might need a special permit
  • Northern Ireland: you need a certificate from Tourism NI
  • Isle of Man – similar
  • Guernsey – similar
  • Jersey – similar restrictions.

We recommend you contact your local City Council before you host on Airbnb, just to be sure.

Otherwise, if you need help paying your Airbnb tax, just sign up to TaxScouts and we’ll do it for you for a flat £119.

Need help with your tax return?

Get your self assessment prepared for you online by certified accountants for £119

Online self assessment preparation assisted by professional accountants

How TaxScouts works

Simple online tax assessment

1. Simple online tax assessment

Our online tax-bot will go over your tax situation and will make sure you won’t overpay your taxes.

Chat to human advisors

2. Chat to human advisors

You can talk to one of our tax assistants at any time during the process when you have any questions.

We’ll sort your documents online

3. We’ll sort your documents online

We’ll tell you exactly what documents you need and sort them for you online. You just upload them or snap a picture with your phone.

Everything gets prepared for you

4. Everything gets prepared for you

Your certified accountant will go over your details & prepare your tax return for you to review. It will be filed on your behalf once you approve it.

"I will not shut up about you guys!"
Tax return filed within 24h... No forever back and forth emails. I am totally in love and recommending you to everyone. Fact!
"I was very sceptical hitting the pay…"
…but my accountant did absolutely everything and took all of the hassle out of doing a tax return.
Wesley Thompson
"Smooth and easy process"
Smooth and easy process. Will use every year! Very helpful staff as well!
Oliver J W

Who our service is for

First time tax filers

We have a simple online service that guides you through the entire process. Regardless of your reasons for doing your tax return we'll help you get it done right.

Construction workers

We'll prepare your self assessment and help to maximise your CIS tax refund. We have the lowest fees in the industry and you don't have to pay up front if you're eligible for a refund.

People living overseas

Our service allows people living abroad to prepare their income tax return online. We are able to process all returns regardless of your current country of residence.

Company directors

UK company directors are required to file their self assessment annually. TaxScouts handles this through a simple online process.


Long Lets, Airbnb, Capital Gains. TaxScouts will sort out your self assessment and take away the worry of tracking all the recent tax changes.


TaxScouts ensures the self employed don't overpay on their taxes. We'll help you benefit from all the tax breaks and deductions that can be applied to your return.

And for everyone else who needs to do their self assessment

At TaxScouts we appreciate that tax returns are highly individual. Before you get assigned an accountant we make sure to understand your circumstances and help you build your optimal tax profile.

Let's start by creating your account

What happens next

  • We'll ask you a couple of short questions
  • Then we'll tell you what documents we need
  • Finally one of our qualified accountants will file your tax return