⚠️ Hey, you are using an outdated web browser.
TaxScouts might not work with your browser. Upgrade here

Let us sort your Self Assessment online. £119, all in. Learn more

Setting up as a sole trader: frequent questions

We know that setting up as a sole trader can be confusing, so we put together this list of answers to questions you might have.

1. How do I know if I need to set up as a sole trader?

  • You earned over £1,000 from self-employment in the past tax year
  • You need to prove that you’re self-employed, for example to claim Tax-Free Childcare
  • You want to make voluntary National Insurance contributions so you can qualify for benefits.

2. Is self-employed the same as sole trader?


  • “Self-employed” means that you do not work for an employer and you don’t pay tax through PAYE
  • “Sole trader” is the formal name for your self-employed business
  • In short, they’re the same thing.

3. Can I be both employed and self-employed?


For example: Nadia works for Starbucks in the morning and is an Uber driver in the evenings. She will have to file a tax return for her Uber income.

See more details about being both employed and self-employed here.

4. When do I need to register?

As soon as you start your work.

The “hard deadline” is 5th October of your second tax year.

5. Can I register in advance?

The earliest you can register is within 28 days before starting your work.

6. Do I need to register every year?


If you have to send a tax return but did not send one last year, you need to re-register for Self Assessment and Class 2 National Insurance.

If, on the other hand, you’re looking to stop being a sole trader, you need to let HMRC know – otherwise, they’ll still expect a tax return.

7. How should I name my sole trader business?

You can trade under your own name if you want, or you can choose another name.

8. Do I also need to register for VAT?

Only if:

  • Your turnover will be over £85,000 (the “VAT threshold”), or
  • You sell to other VAT-registered businesses and want to reclaim VAT.

Hey there! We really hope this article helped you. Tax matters can be a dreadful topic at times. We know. That's why we started TaxScouts.
A stress-free way to getting your taxes done.

Have a minute? See how it works

More guides & useful information

Let us sort your Self Assessment online. £119, all in.

That’s right. No matter how complicated it gets or why you need to do a return in the first place, it’ll cost £119 to get it done. That includes VAT, last-minute changes and all the support you may need.

How it works

Answer a few simple questions

And we mean a few. After a couple of minutes of answering questions online we’ll have everything we need to start working on your tax return.

Then get paired with a tax accountant

That’s right, you’ll be matched with a real accountant who is best suited to prepare your return. Plus, they’re on hand for questions whenever you need.

We file your Self Assessment for you

Once you’ve signed off your return, your TaxScouts accountant will file your return online with HMRC. That’s it! We told you it was simple.