What is the SA103 form and how to fill it

The SA103 form is the document you need to complete so you can pay tax on income from self-employment.

There are two kinds of SA103:

  • the short version, called SA103S, which can be used by most self-employed
  • the “full version”, called SA103F, which is used by self-employed with more complex situations (they earn over the VAT limit, are a practicing barrister, use traditional accounting instead of the usual cash basis, etc.)

How do I know if I’m self-employed?

It’s not always as easy as it sounds:

  • Are you working with a full-time employment contract? Then you’re not self-employed
  • Are you using a limited company to do business? Then you’re an employee of your own company (or an umbrella company), but not self-employed.

Also, in case you’re wondering: “sole trader” is the same as “self employed”.

How do I fill it in?

You can get the “shorter” SA103S form from this HMRC page:

  1. select the year that you need the form for
  2. download the SA103S pdf
  3. print it, fill it in, and send it to HMRC via post

If you file a Self Assessment tax return every year, then HMRC might also send it to you.

In any case, make sure you first read the “Self-employment (notes)” pdf for that tax year – it’s on the same HMRC page.

It will explain what each line item on the form means, and how to fill it.

If you want the full version, download the SA103F form here instead.

How do I submit it?

You need to send it together with your SA100 form – you can’t file the SA103 by itself.

Can I send it to HMRC online?

No, you need to send it by post.

The good news is that you can simply choose to do your entire Self Assessment online. Plus you can get another 3 months to do it, since the deadline for sending the paper form is October 31st, but for online tax returns is 3 months later (end of January).

At TaxScouts we can file your tax return online for you instead – and for a flat £119, regardless of how many sources of income you have or what kind of self-employed you are.

Need help with your tax return?

Get your self assessment prepared for you online by certified accountants for £119

Online self assessment preparation assisted by professional accountants

How TaxScouts works

Simple online tax assessment

1. Simple online tax assessment

Our online tax-bot will go over your tax situation and will make sure you won’t overpay your taxes.

Chat to human advisors

2. Chat to human advisors

You can talk to one of our tax assistants at any time during the process when you have any questions.

We’ll sort your documents online

3. We’ll sort your documents online

We’ll tell you exactly what documents you need and sort them for you online. You just upload them or snap a picture with your phone.

Everything gets prepared for you

4. Everything gets prepared for you

Your certified accountant will go over your details & prepare your tax return for you to review. It will be filed on your behalf once you approve it.

"Absolutely amazing service"
I've been worrying about my tax return for weeks and I'm so pleased I contacted TaxScouts. Outstanding service and problem solved.
Sandra S
I will happily recommend them and frankly don't care if Marcus is real or a room full of whirring AI - TaxScouts is brilliant.
Andy B
"I will not shut up about you guys!"
Tax return filed within 24h... No forever back and forth emails. I am totally in love and recommending you to everyone. Fact!

Who our service is for

First time tax filers

We have a simple online service that guides you through the entire process. Regardless of your reasons for doing your tax return we'll help you get it done right.

Construction workers

We'll prepare your self assessment and help to maximise your CIS tax refund. We have the lowest fees in the industry and you don't have to pay up front if you're eligible for a refund.

People living overseas

Our service allows people living abroad to prepare their income tax return online. We are able to process all returns regardless of your current country of residence.

Company directors

UK company directors are required to file their self assessment annually. TaxScouts handles this through a simple online process.


Long Lets, Airbnb, Capital Gains. TaxScouts will sort out your self assessment and take away the worry of tracking all the recent tax changes.


TaxScouts ensures the self employed don't overpay on their taxes. We'll help you benefit from all the tax breaks and deductions that can be applied to your return.

And for everyone else who needs to do their self assessment

At TaxScouts we appreciate that tax returns are highly individual. Before you get assigned an accountant we make sure to understand your circumstances and help you build your optimal tax profile.

Let's start by creating your account

What happens next

  • We'll ask you a couple of short questions
  • Then we'll tell you what documents we need
  • Finally one of our qualified accountants will file your tax return