⚠️ Hey, you are using an outdated web browser.
TaxScouts might not work with your browser. Upgrade here

Let us sort your Self Assessment online. £119, all in. Learn more

Self-employed: cash basis or traditional accounting?

When you register as self-employed with HMRC you’ll have to choose which type of accounting you prefer: cash basis or traditional.

Cash basis is the one suitable for 95% of self-employed people, but let’s have a quick look at the differences.

Traditional accounting

Here you record your income and expenses regardless if you have actually been paid or not. Basically, use your invoices instead of bank statements.

For example:

  • you invoice a customer on March 25th 2020 (2019/20 tax year)
  • customer pays you on April 18th 2020 (2020/21 tax year)
  • you must file this in the 2019/20 tax year tax return. Not 2020/21.

The advantages are that you can offset losses and it’s also easier to deal with VAT.

Cash basis accounting

This is much simpler: just record your income or expenses when you actually receive or pay money in your bank.

Same example:

  • You invoice a customer on March 25th 2020 (2019/20 tax year)
  • Customer pays you on April 18th 2020 (2020/21 tax year)
  • With cash basis, you must file this in the 2020/21.

The Simplified Expenses Scheme

This is a way of calculating some of your business expenses using flat rates. You can choose this only if you also use cash basis.

You can use flat rates for:

  • your car (the “mileage allowance“)
  • working from home (the “home office allowance”).

Read more details about these flat rates here.

For everything else, just work them out as you would normally.

Which one should you choose?

We stand by our recommendation:

  • cash basis is super simple
  • if your earnings from self-employment are high (you have to use traditional accounting if you make over £150,000 from self-employment), it’s a much better idea to just set up a limited company instead.

Hey there! We really hope this article helped you. Tax matters can be a dreadful topic at times. We know. That's why we started TaxScouts.
A stress-free way to getting your taxes done.

Have a minute? See how it works

More guides & useful information

Let us sort your Self Assessment online. £119, all in.

That’s right. No matter how complicated it gets or why you need to do a return in the first place, it’ll cost £119 to get it done. That includes VAT, last-minute changes and all the support you may need.

How TaxScouts works

Answer a few simple questions

And we mean a few. After a couple of minutes of answering questions online we’ll have everything we need to start preparing your tax return.

Then get paired with a tax return accountant

That’s right, you’ll be matched with a real certified accountant who is best suited to prepare your return. Plus, they’re on hand for questions whenever you need.

We file your Self Assessment for you

Once you’ve signed off your return, your TaxScouts accountant will submit your return with HMRC for you.

That’s it! We told you it was simple.