⚠️ Hey, you are using an outdated web browser.
TaxScouts might not work with your browser. Upgrade here
🌟 New! Company tax returns Learn more

If you are eligible for the coronavirus grant, the Government will contact you

To be eligible for the coronavirus self-employed support scheme, you needed to have your 2018/19 tax return filed before 23rd of April. If you have, you will be contacted by the government to know you are eligible. Our discounted fee for partner drivers or couriers with Uber ended April 23rd. We can still sort your pending tax returns quickly and answer any questions you might have on the coronavirus grant.

In partnership with Uber

To be eligible for the Government’s support scheme you need to make sure that your Self Assessment tax return for the 2018/19 tax year was sorted before the 23 April extension deadline.

We’ve linked up with Uber to provide all drivers and couriers a certified accountant to do your Self Assessment and answer all your tax questions.

Self-Employment Income Support Scheme (SEISS) can provide you with 80% of your average self-employed income based on the last 3 years. You can receive up to £2,500 per month in cash grants for at least 3 months totalling £7,500. After submitting your tax return, the Government will contact you if you are eligible.

Unfortunately, if you haven’t filed your 2018/19 Self Assessment tax return already, you are not eligible for this grant.

What do I have to do?

1. Enter your income and expenses

Sign up and answer couple of questions about your income, mileage and expenses for the tax year.

2. Save on tax

Then, TaxScouts automatically calculates your taxes and proposes further allowances you may be able to claim. Try our free tax calculator.

3. We do your tax return

Our certified accountants do all the tax preparations for you and ensure the lowest tax bill possible. You don’t need to do anything else!

Things you can claim

Did you know that there are a number of things that your TaxScouts accountant can help you expense on your tax return?

  • Mobile phone bill
  • Car cleaning
  • Parking fees
  • Mileage
  • Car rental and petrol
  • Bank fees
  • Accounting fees
I will happily recommend them and frankly don’t care if Marcus is real or a room full of whirring AI – TaxScouts is brilliant.
— Andy B
“Smooth and easy process”
Smooth and easy process. Will use every year! Very helpful staff as well!
— Oliver J W
“Absolutely outstanding”
Very quick turnaround, all my questions answered almost immediately and brilliant value.
— Aimee J

Common questions

You’re not alone. If you’ve got a question we’ve probably heard it before and have an answer. Or we can walk you through what to do.

Self-service guides and FAQs

Your UTR number is a Unique Taxpayer Reference that you get when you register for Self Assessment.

It consists of 10 digits (sometimes with a letter K at the end) and is issued to you by HMRC.

Check out our guide to getting a UTR.

Most people do not need to file a Self Assessment because they are taxed at source. But there are a few reasons you may need to complete a tax return:

  • you’re self-employed and earned more than £1,000
  • you are a landlord with rental income over £2,500
  • you made over £12,000 in profit from investments
  • you received more than £10,000 from savings interest or dividends
  • you have foreign income
  • you want to claim a tax refund (CIS, EIS, SEIS, donations)
  • HMRC tells you to submit one
  • your income is over £100,000
  • you live abroad and had income from the UK
  • you’re in a partnership
  • you are a minister of any religion

Check out more reasons you may need to submit a Self Assessment

If you’re self-employed, you can get up to £1,000 each tax year as a tax-free allowance. This is called the Trading Allowance.


  • if you earn less than £1,000 from self-employment, you don’t need to do anything: it’s completely tax-free
  • if your expenses are under £1,000, you can just claim this allowance instead: it’s bigger and you don’t need to worry about receipts

Learn more about the Trading Allowance

Depending on your situation, you may be entitled to claim different expenses back on your Self Assessment.

If you’re self-employed you can claim expenses individually (full list here) or claim the £1,000 Trading Allowance.

If you’re a landlord, you can claim certain replacement items, renovations and if you live in the property (full list here) or claim the £1,000 Property Income Allowance.

Other general allowances can be found here for investors, high-earners and other taxpayers.

When it comes to Self Assessment mistakes, we’ve seen them all. Here are a few you’ll want to avoid:

  • Not knowing deadlines and key dates
  • Forgetting about tax reliefs you can claim
  • Forgetting about Payment on Account
  • Getting your tax code wrong
  • Not including total income and benefits from PAYE

Read more about these and other mistakes you can avoid