We sort your Self Assessment for you. £119, all in.

Fast, effortless and 100% online.

We sort your Self Assessment for you. £119, all in.

What taxes do self employed have to pay?

We've updated this guide on 5th March 2021

The self-employed taxes are the same as the ones regular employees have to pay: income tax and National Insurance contributions.

You’re just paying them differently: instead of the employer doing it for you, you have to calculate them, file a Self Assessment tax return, and pay the taxes yourself.

The Personal Allowance for self-employed

Is the same as for regular employees: £12,570 in the 2021/22 tax year.

If you have two jobs and one is self-employed, make sure that your Personal Allowance is applied to the one where you make the most money.

Just look at your tax code:

  • your main employment has the tax code ending in L.
  • your secondary job will then have the tax code D0, D1, or BR.

How to calculate your income tax rate

Unlike for employees, when you’re self-employed you pay income tax on your profits only, not your total income.

To calculate your profits deduct your claimable expenses from your self-employed income.

Then simply multiply by the tax rate:

Income Tax rate
between £0 and £12,570 0%
between £12,571 and £50,270 20%
between £50,271 to £150,000 40%
above £150,001 45%

Here is a self-employed tax calculator if you want to know how much you have to pay.

National Insurance Contributions (NIC) for self-employed

As a self-employed, you need to pay:

  • Class 2 NIC
  • and maybe Class 4 NIC: depending on your profit.

Check out our article about the NIC that sole traders have to pay.

Want regular tips from us?

Sign up for important updates, deadline reminders and basic tax hacks sent straight to your inbox.


We sort your Self Assessment for you. £119, all in.

Fast, effortless and done for you online – the way tax returns should be done. Free to sign up.