We sort your Self Assessment for you. £169, all in.

Fast, effortless and 100% online.  Learn more

We sort your Self Assessment for you. £169, all in.

CIS refunds – most common questions answered

  • 3 min read
  • Last updated 28 Mar 2024

With the help of our Support Team, we’ve put together the five most common questions that we’re asked about CIS refunds. Take a look below to read more. And don’t forget, if you still have questions, we’re happy to answer them! 

Just get in touch with our Support Team via the live chat on our homepage or on [email protected].

1. What happens after I’ve filed my tax return?

After we’ve filed your return, all you need to do is prepare to pay your bill. You can do this either direct on HMRC online or via your TaxScouts account where we’ll redirect you to HMRC’s payment portal. 

2. What is agent authorisation and why is it sometimes needed?

Agent authorisation is a way to let your accountant represent you and act on your behalf when communicating with HMRC. If there are any issues, your accountant can step in and help, and they can also access information about your previous employers to make sure they have everything they need to complete your return.

When your accountant requests agent authorisation, HMRC will send you a letter with a code to your address on file. You can add it directly onto your TaxScouts profile. 

3. What happens to your rebate if you have penalties from previous years?

If you have outstanding penalties or fines from previous years, these will remain on your HMRC account and will automatically be taken from any rebate you’re due back. 

4. How long does it take HMRC to process a return and pay a tax rebate?

Once your return has been filed, it takes on average between 6-12 weeks for HMRC to process and pay the rebate. If it’s particularly large or you haven’t had one before, they may run additional security checks. This will include getting you to confirm your identity and personal details. 

5. Why have HMRC changed my rebate amount?

Your tax return is calculated on the information you upload and provide to your accountant. They prepare your return based on it and file with HMRC once you’ve approved it all.

HMRC then use the historical tax information they hold for you (e.g. changes in tax code, late payment fines etc.) to confirm the figures. As only they have access to this information, it occasionally leads to an update in your figures. We unfortunately don’t have access to unpaid fines or changes in tax codes unless you’re able to tell us about them.

Need to file your CIS tax return?

Well, it’s your lucky day. Get your CIS tax return filed by an accredited accountant. We can also take payment from your rebate if you prefer not to pay in advance. Our CIS accountants have specialist knowledge of construction worker tax needs including what expenses you can claim, how to maximise your profit, and more. 

Boss your bookkeeping – for free

Manage your self-employed finances in one place with 10/10 bookkeeping tools. And all for free – forever and always.

  • Save money, time and effort
  • Create and personalise invoices
  • Track all your income and expenses in one place
  • And more!