We sort your Self Assessment for you. £169, all in.

Fast, effortless and 100% online.  Learn more

We sort your Self Assessment for you. £169, all in.

The SA302 form: How to get it for your mortgage application

  • 2 min read
  • Last updated 28 Mar 2024

An SA302 form is simply a document that shows how much you’ve earned in the last 4 years. 

Why do I need an SA302?

If you earn money outside of PAYE (for example, you’re self-employed, or a full-time landlord, etc.), it’s tough for a bank to assess how much your income is.

So if you’re applying for a mortgage, you’ll need an SA302 to prove to the lender that you’ve had a stable income.

How do I get one from HMRC? 

  1. log in to your HMRC online account.
  2. go to the “Self Assessment” section
  3. then click on “More Self Assessment details”
  4. you can download your SA302 there.

If you have any problems getting it, you can also try calling HMRC.

How do I get one if I use TaxScouts?

  1. log in to your TaxScouts account
  2. hover your mouse over your name in the top right-hand corner (or click the three bars in the top right if you’re accessing the TaxScouts website on your phone)
  3. select “Files” from the drop-down menu
  4. if you completed more than one tax return with us click the desired tax year from the tab on the left-hand side (e.g. “Tax year 2014/25”)
  5. then select “Tax Return & Calculations” and click on “Tax Calculation”
  6. your tax calculation (equivalent to an SA302) will automatically download to your computer or phone.

Whichever method you use, first make sure to check that your mortgage provider accepts documents you’ve printed yourself.

Here is the list of mortgage providers who do.

TaxScouts Newsletter

Want regular tips from us?

Sign up for important updates, deadline reminders and basic tax hacks sent straight to your inbox.

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.