⚠️ Hey, you are using an outdated web browser.
TaxScouts might not work with your browser. Upgrade here

Let us sort your Self Assessment online. £119, all in. Learn more

Resident landlord

A resident landlord is someone that rents out part of their home to a “lodger”, while also living there themselves.

If you’re a resident landlord, you might need to submit a Self Assessment tax return by January 31st each year.

However, if what you earn from your lodger is under £7,500 a year, then you don’t need to declare it or do anything – unless you already registered for Self Assessment in a previous year and didn’t tell HMRC that you don’t need to file a tax return anymore. In this case, you need to submit one even if you don’t have any tax to pay.

If what you earn from your lodger is over £7,500, you can claim this amount as a flat allowance – it’s called the “Rent a Room relief”.

Hey there! We really hope this article helped you. Tax matters can be a dreadful topic at times. We know. That's why we started TaxScouts.
A stress-free way to getting your taxes done.

Have a minute? See how it works

More guides & useful information

Let us sort your Self Assessment online. £119, all in.

That’s right. No matter how complicated it gets or why you need to do a return in the first place, it’ll cost £119 to get it done. That includes VAT, last-minute changes and all the support you may need.

How TaxScouts works

Answer a few simple questions

And we mean a few. After a couple of minutes of answering questions online we’ll have everything we need to start preparing your tax return.

Then get paired with a tax return accountant

That’s right, you’ll be matched with a real certified accountant who is best suited to prepare your return. Plus, they’re on hand for questions whenever you need.

We file your Self Assessment for you

Once you’ve signed off your return, your TaxScouts accountant will submit your return with HMRC for you.

That’s it! We told you it was simple.