We sort your Self Assessment for you. £169, all in.

Fast, effortless and 100% online.  Learn more

We sort your Self Assessment for you. £169, all in.

Married Couples’ Allowance

  • 2 min read

The Married Couple’s Allowance is a UK government tax relief for couples where one of the spouses or civil partners is born before 6 April 1935. If you and your partner were born on or after 6 April 1935, you might be able to claim the Marriage Allowance instead.

Married Couple’s Allowance: how much do you get?

The Married Couple’s Allowance can reduce your (or your partner’s) tax bill by between £427 and £1,108 for the 2024/25 tax year. 

When you marry or register a civil partnership, you’ll receive the allowance on a pro-rata basis for the rest of that tax year. If one of you dies, you divorce or separate, the allowance continues until the end of the tax year.

You can use this calculator from HMRC to work out how much allowance you’re eligible to get.

Who’s eligible?

You can claim for the Married Couple’s Allowance if all the following apply to you or your partner:

  • You’re married or in a civil partnership
  • You’re living together with your partner
  • One of you was born before 6th April 1935

If you and your spouse or civil partner have to separate through circumstance rather than a mutual decision to formally separate, you might be able to still claim. Circumstances include:

  • Illness or old age – such as when your partner is in residential care
  • Working away from home
  • In the armed forces posting
  • In prison

How do you claim for Married Couple’s Allowance?

You can claim for Married Couple’s Allowance when you file a Self Assessment tax return. You simply need to complete the Married Couple’s Allowance section of the form.

If you don’t fill in a Self Assessment tax return each year, then you must contact HMRC with details about your:

  1. Marriage or civil partnership ceremony
  2. Spouse or civil partner (including date of birth)
TaxScouts Newsletter

Want regular tips from us?

Sign up for important updates, deadline reminders and basic tax hacks sent straight to your inbox.

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.