⚠️ Hey, you are using an outdated web browser.
TaxScouts might not work with your browser. Upgrade here

Let us sort your Self Assessment online. £119, all in. Learn more

Class 2 National Insurance

Class 2 National Insurance is one of the two kinds of National Insurance (NI) that you pay if you’re self-employed.

The other kind is Class 4.

You only start paying Class 2 NI once you earn over £6,475 a year from self-employment.

It’s a fixed amount calculated at £3.05 per week – that’s a flat £159 per year.

What you need to remember about Class 2 National Insurance:

  • you will pay this yourself through a Self Assessment tax return – same as with Income Tax on your self-employment earnings
  • once you earn over £9,501 a year you will also pay Class 4 NI
  • you must pay Class 2 National Insurance even if you earn under the Personal Allowance
  • if you’re also working as an employee (for example, you work in sales during the day and freelance as a tutor in the evenings), you’ll pay both Class 1 NI and Class 2 (and maybe even Class 4) NI. You can use this employed and self-employed calculator to see what kind and how much NI you pay.

Hey there! We really hope this article helped you. Tax matters can be a dreadful topic at times. We know. That's why we started TaxScouts.
A stress-free way to getting your taxes done.

Have a minute? See how it works

More guides & useful information

Related terms

Let us sort your Self Assessment online. £119, all in.

That’s right. No matter how complicated it gets or why you need to do a return in the first place, it’ll cost £119 to get it done. That includes VAT, last-minute changes and all the support you may need.

How TaxScouts works

Answer a few simple questions

And we mean a few. After a couple of minutes of answering questions online we’ll have everything we need to start preparing your tax return.

Then get paired with a tax return accountant

That’s right, you’ll be matched with a real certified accountant who is best suited to prepare your return. Plus, they’re on hand for questions whenever you need.

We file your Self Assessment for you

Once you’ve signed off your return, your TaxScouts accountant will submit your return with HMRC for you.

That’s it! We told you it was simple.