We sort your Self Assessment for you. £119, all in.

Fast, effortless and 100% online.

We sort your Self Assessment for you. £119, all in.

Are tips taxable?

26th May 2021

are tips taxable - TaxScouts blog

If tipping is common in your line of work, then you might be asking yourself, ‘are tips taxable?’ 

In short, yes. Tips are taxable. 

According to HMRC, whether you’re a hairdresser, taxi driver, bartender or waiter, you’ll have to pay Income Tax on any tips you receive whilst at work. In some cases, you may even be required to make National Insurance contributions too. 

We spoke to our trusty partner URocked, a brand new app-based startup that specialises in cashless tip collecting. Here’s what they told us:

The value of tips in [the UK hospitality] market is worth £5.2 billion. On average someone leaves a gratuity 30 times a year with an average of £105 spent on tips per annum. But even though you may only choose to tip a handful of times a year, there are a lot of people who rely on tips to boost their earnings.


If you’ve made lots of tips over the past few months and are unsure how they’ll be affected by tax, here’s everything you need to know about tipping and tax in the UK.

How tips are paid in the UK 

There are many ways to receive tips in the UK. Some of the most common include:

  • In cash. This could be given to you at the end of a shift by your manager, or directly from a customer/client
  • Tips that are added on as part of your wage or pay packet
  • An amount of cash that is collected and then shared between all members of staff

It’s important to remember that all of these tips are taxable in the eyes of HMRC.

How do I know if my tips are taxable?

No matter how much you receive, or how you get it, the money you make from tips is taxable. The amount of tax owed, and how it’s paid, depends on who the tips are for and who decides how they’re shared out. 

It’s important to know that if you fail to declare your earnings from tips, HMRC will estimate it for you. They then deduct the tax directly from your income via PAYE.

Cash tips

If a customer directly gives you a cash tip, you’ll have to pay tax on the amount given. But you won’t pay National Insurance. You’ll pay this Income Tax through one of two ways:

  1. Self Assessment: if you decide to file a tax return, then you must include the money earned from your tips
  1. Alternatively, HMRC will estimate the amount of tips you received based on the information provided from you or your employer. They’ll then give your employer a tax code. This lets them collect the tax through PAYE, which’ll be taken from your wages before you’re paid

Calculate how much tax you’ll pay on your Self Assessment tax return by using our income tax calculator below!

Annual self-employment income
Self-employment expenses
Select tax year
Income after tax
Income tax
Total income tax
£12,500 taxed at 0%
£36,500 taxed at 20% : £7,300
Total NI contributions
Class 2 NI: £159
Class 4 NI at 9% : £3,555
What you’re left with

Hey there! We really hope this calculator helped you. Tax matters can be a dreadful topic at times. We know. That’s why we started TaxScouts.
A stress-free way to getting your taxes done.

Have a minute? See how it works

How your income tax is calculated

As a self-employed you have to pay your income tax and national insurance contributions yourself during your annual self assessment. Our calculator helps you quickly assess how much payment is due.

However you may be eligible for a tax refund when:

  1. You already made tax payments for the year but your annual income ended up smaller than planned
  2. You have done things that qualify for tax relief (made private pension contributions, give to charity, etc)

In your case when you earn £49,000:

Income tax breakdown

You pay no income tax on first £12,500 that you make

You pay £7,300 at basic income tax rate (20%) on the next £36,500

Service charges

Service charges are added to a bill before it’s given to a customer. 

If the service charge is voluntary, you’ll pay tax on and National Insurance on the amount. This is done in the same way you would for any other tip. If it’s compulsory, then the money is not classed as a tip. If your employer gives you a share of the service charge, it’s treated the same way as receiving your wage.

Tips included in card or cheque payments

If a customer gives you a tip via a card or cheque payment, your employer is responsible for making sure Income Tax is paid through PAYE.

If all the tips are pooled together and shared equally amongst staff members, this is called a ‘tronc,’. The person responsible for sharing the tips is a ‘troncmaster.’ The troncmaster is also responsible for making sure the right amount of Income Tax is paid to HMRC, as well as National Insurance.


Bonuses are similar to tips, but they’re classed as part of your pay. You’ll pay tax and NI on them through PAYE.

My employer wants to pay my wage cash in hand, is this legal?

Cash in hand wage payments are illegal! This is because your employer is paying you a wage without deducting tax and NI contributions. If you accept cash in hand payments, you risk losing your employment rights, and may even have to pay the tax contributions back yourself!

Want regular tax tips from us?

Sign up here for important updates, deadline reminders and basic tax hacks sent straight to your inbox.

"*" indicates required fields

We sort your Self Assessment for you. £119, all in.

Fast, effortless and done for you online – the way tax returns should be done. Free to sign up.