We sort your Self Assessment for you. £169, all in.

Fast, effortless and 100% online.  Learn more

We sort your Self Assessment for you. £169, all in.

Class 2 National Insurance: who needs to pay it?

  • 1 min read
  • Last updated 28 Mar 2024

🚨From 6 April 2024 (the 24/25 tax year onwards), Class 2 National Insurance is being scrapped. If you’re under the threshold and pay them voluntarily to qualify for benefits, you’ll still be able to do so.

You need to pay Class 2 National Insurance contributions if:

  • You’re self-employed earning over £6,725
  • You don’t normally pay National Insurance but want to make voluntary contributions so you can qualify for benefits (like the State Pension)

Usually, you’ll pay it through your Self Assessment tax return bill.

How much do I need to pay?

In the 2023/24 tax year, your Class 2 National Insurance contributions are £3.45 per week.

That’s £179.40 per tax year.

From the 24/25 tax year, the Class 2 NICs are no longer a required payment from self-employed people.

How can I pay it?

Boss your bookkeeping – for free

Manage your self-employed finances in one place with 10/10 bookkeeping tools. And all for free – forever and always.

  • Save money, time and effort
  • Create and personalise invoices
  • Track all your income and expenses in one place
  • And more!