We sort your Self Assessment for you. £149, all in.

Fast, effortless and 100% online.  Learn more

We sort your Self Assessment for you. £149, all in.

How to stop being self-employed

  • 2 min read
  • Last updated 4 Jan 2024

If you want to stop being self-employed, you have to let HMRC know as soon as possible, otherwise they’ll still expect you to file a Self Assessment tax return.

How to tell HMRC I’m no longer self-employed?

It’s pretty simple. Just login to your government gateway, fill in this online form and the job’s a good’un! HMRC have put together this video to give a quick overview on the process. Take a look!

If you’ we’re working in construction (CIS), you’ll need to get in touch with HMRC separately unfortunately, so give them a ring on 0300-200-3210.

What happens if you don’t tell HMRC?

HMRC will assume you’re still self-employed and will continue sending you a tax return every year. Definitely don’t ignore it or you’ll be fined (about £1,600 if you’re a year late). Just get in touch with HMRC.

HMRC will still expect you to pay tax. They’ll create an “estimated tax bill” for you – it’s legally due and you can only cancel it within 3 years.

Do I still need to file a Self Assessment tax return?

Yes, you do.

What you need to include on your last Self Assessment tax return:

What happens once you de-register

What you have to do:

  • File your last tax return
  • Pay any income tax and National Insurance that you owe
  • If you are registered for VAT, cancel your VAT registration here
  • Keep your documents (receipts, invoices, etc) for 6 years
  • Make sure that HMRC has your correct address for the 12 months after you file your tax return

What HMRC will do:

  • They will not ask you for a Self Assessment tax return next year (unless you have other reason to file one, of course)

Can TaxScouts help?

Of course! We can file your Self Assessment for you for a flat £149, and let HMRC know that you’ll no longer be self-employed, and confirm to them that you don’t need to submit a tax return the following year.

TaxScouts Newsletter

Want regular tips from us?

Sign up for important updates, deadline reminders and basic tax hacks sent straight to your inbox.

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.