Let us sort your Self Assessment today. Stress-free. For £119, all in. Get started

The SA108 form: how to use it to file your Capital Gains Tax

The SA108 form is a document you need to fill and submit to HMRC if you have to pay tax on your capital gains.

Use it when you’ve sold any of these for a profit:

You’ll also need to pay capital gains tax when you gift any of these (this is a common situation for parents giving children a flat or house as a gift).

All of these will get taxed at the same capital gains tax rate, except for property, which has its separate CGT rate.

How do I use it?

You can find the SA108 form on this HMRC page:

  1. select the year that you need the form for
  2. download it
  3. print it
  4. fill it in
  5. attach it to your SA100 (the main tax return form)
  6. send it to HMRC.

In any case, make sure you first download and read the “Capital gains summary notes” for that tax year – it’s on the same HMRC page.

That pdf will explain what each item from the SA108 form means.

Do I need to use it if I submit my Self Assessment tax return online?


You will only need to file the SA108 form if you decide to file your tax return in paper format.

Reasons why you should use the online version instead:

If you find the online tax return challenging to use, at TaxScouts we can file your tax return online for you – and for a flat £119.

More guides & useful information

Let us sort your Self Assessment online. £119, all in.

That’s right. No matter how complicated it gets or why you need to do a return in the first place, it’ll cost £119 to get it done. That includes VAT, last-minute changes and all the support you may need.