How to pay rental income tax from jointly owned properties

We've updated this guide on 31st July 2019

If a property has several owners, HMRC will expect each partner to:

  • keep records
  • file separate Self Assessment tax returns
  • pay tax on their share of the income.

How much tax does each partner pay?

If you’re not married


Your share of the rental profits will be based on the percentage of the property you own.

For example:

  • Lucy and Daniel are “only” girlfriend-and-boyfriend and invest in a flat
  • Lucy puts 70% of the money and Daniel the remaining 30%
  • next, they rent out the flat: Daniel will receive 30% of the income and Lucy 70%
  • they will pay tax accordingly.
If you’re married or in a civil partnership

Things are different here: rental income must be split and taxed equally (50:50).

HMRC does not care whose bank account the rent money goes into – each spouse is assumed to receive 50%.

Should we choose a different split?

Yes, if:

How do we choose a different split?

If you’re not married:
  1. ask a lawyer to draft a Severance of Joint Ownership
  2. file this with the Land Registry
  3. you don’t need to file anything else with HMRC
  4. just use the new percentages in your next Self Assessment tax return
If you’re married or in a civil partnership:
  1. ask a lawyer to draft a Declaration of Trust
  2. complete a Form 17
  3. file the form with the HMRC within two months
  4. HMRC will tax rental profits and gains based on the new split.

How much does it cost to do it?

  • a Declaration of Trust or Severance of Joint Ownership is about ~£200 + VAT
  • if you have a mortgage on the property, you might need to pay a Stamp Duty Land Tax charge
  • if unmarried couples transfer a share in a home, this triggers Capital Gains Tax
  • luckily there is no CGT on transfers between spouses.

What happens when we sell the property?

When married couples file a Declaration of Trust and Form 17, they are not transferring legal title to the property.

That’s why when you sell the property, you should reverse the process:

  • assign 50% of the beneficial interest back to you
  • file Form 17 again
  • then both of you can use your CGT tax-free allowances.

Need help with your tax return?

Get your self assessment prepared for you online by certified accountants for £119

Online self assessment preparation assisted by professional accountants

How TaxScouts works

Simple online tax assessment

1. Simple online tax assessment

Our online tax-bot will go over your tax situation and will make sure you won’t overpay your taxes.

Chat to human advisors

2. Chat to human advisors

You can talk to one of our tax assistants at any time during the process when you have any questions.

We’ll sort your documents online

3. We’ll sort your documents online

We’ll tell you exactly what documents you need and sort them for you online. You just upload them or snap a picture with your phone.

Everything gets prepared for you

4. Everything gets prepared for you

Your certified accountant will go over your details & prepare your tax return for you to review. It will be filed on your behalf once you approve it.

"Absolutely outstanding"
Very quick turnaround, all my questions answered almost immediately and brilliant value.
Aimee J
I will happily recommend them and frankly don't care if Marcus is real or a room full of whirring AI - TaxScouts is brilliant.
Andy B
"Very fast"
Very fast and gave good advice I will be using every year
Wayne L

Who our service is for

First time tax filers

We have a simple online service that guides you through the entire process. Regardless of your reasons for doing your tax return we'll help you get it done right.

Construction workers

We'll prepare your self assessment and help to maximise your CIS tax refund. We have the lowest fees in the industry and you don't have to pay up front if you're eligible for a refund.

People living overseas

Our service allows people living abroad to prepare their income tax return online. We are able to process all returns regardless of your current country of residence.

Company directors

UK company directors are required to file their self assessment annually. TaxScouts handles this through a simple online process.


Long Lets, Airbnb, Capital Gains. TaxScouts will sort out your self assessment and take away the worry of tracking all the recent tax changes.


TaxScouts ensures the self employed don't overpay on their taxes. We'll help you benefit from all the tax breaks and deductions that can be applied to your return.

And for everyone else who needs to do their self assessment

At TaxScouts we appreciate that tax returns are highly individual. Before you get assigned an accountant we make sure to understand your circumstances and help you build your optimal tax profile.

Let's start by creating your account

What happens next

  • We'll ask you a couple of short questions
  • Then we'll tell you what documents we need
  • Finally one of our qualified accountants will file your tax return