Your property Self Assessment, done for you

Our accountants are experts in filing tax returns for landlords.
Buy-to-Let, Capital Gains Tax and more – all done for £119, one-off.

Painless tax returns

There’s nothing you need to learn or download. It’s a simple online process. You can do it from your phone, in your PJs, on the sofa, if that’s your thing.

Peace of mind

No more worrying about missing a claimable expense, tax relief or making a mistake. Get your return filed by a real, certified accountant who’s got your back.

A fair, fixed fee

It doesn’t matter how complicated your situation is or how much you earn. No matter what, it’s just £119. No hidden costs, no hassles, no “quotes”.

See how much rental Income Tax you need to pay

We know that the HMRC rules can be confusing, from the recent changes to how landlords can claim mortgage interest to how the income from platforms like Airbnb is taxed.

That’s why we built a customised rental Income Tax calculator so you can quickly see how much you likely need to pay.

Or what your Capital Gains Tax bill may be

If you’ve just sold your property, use our free Capital Gains Tax calculator to see how big your tax bill may be.

The rules are different if you’re selling your home or a second property.

Common questions

You’re not alone. If you’ve got a question we’ve probably heard it before and have an answer. Or we can walk you through what to do.

Self-service guides and FAQs

Anything can be claimed as long as it relates directly to renting or maintaining the property:

  • agent fees, accountant fees, legal fees
  • rent (if you’re subletting), cleaning
  • most utilities

Three important things to keep in mind:

  • if your expenses are less than £1,000, don’t worry about receipts – just claim this flat £1,000 property allowance instead. Couples each get £1,000, so it’s double if you’re renting out a jointly owned property
  • if you made a rental loss last year (for example, couldn’t find a tenant), you can also claim it this year. It’s called “carrying forward a loss”
  • for anything that improves the value of the property (adding a patio, etc.), you can only claim them against your capital gains tax bill when you sell your property

Read more in our guide to allowable property expenses here

As long as you also live there, you can actually claim the first £7,500 as a flat tax relief.

It’s called the Rent-a-Room Scheme, and it’s one of the best tax reliefs landlords can get.

If you earn under £7,500 from rent, you don’t even need to declare it or submit a Self Assessment tax return.

Again, the only condition is that you also live at the property.


Read more about the Rent-a-Room Scheme here.

There are two situations:

1. If you also live at the property, you can claim the first £7,500 as a flat tax relief as part of the Rent a Room Scheme. If you earn less than that through Airbnb-ing your own home, you shouldn’t need to declare it.

2. If it’s a second property or a buy-to-let and you earn over £1,000 from rental income (including Airbnb), you have to declare it and pay tax on it.

Read more in our guide for Airbnb hosts.

First, if you’re renting out a buy-to-let, you can only claim mortgage interest – not the full mortgage payments.

Second, starting in 2020 you will get a tax credit worth 20% of your finance costs instead.

What does this mean for you?

  • if you’re a basic rate taxpayer (meaning you earn under £50,000), you don’t need to worry
  • if you’re a higher rate taxpayer, it will mean a slightly higher tax bill – it all depends on how many buy-to-let properties you have. However, for most people it won’t be a huge change.

You can read more about the mortgage interest relief changes here

You don’t have to pay Capital Gains Tax (CGT) on property when:

  • you’re selling your main home
  • if your profit is less than £12,000

What you can claim to reduce your CGT bill:

  • if you have let out your home for a while, you can apply for letting relief
  • if you made a loss from selling another property last year, you can claim it this year (it’s called “carrying it forward”)

Read more in our guide to CGT on property here