⚠️ Hey, you are using an outdated web browser.
TaxScouts might not work with your browser. Upgrade here

Let us sort your Self Assessment online. £119, all in. Learn more

How to pay tax on dividends

This article is simply about about paying tax on dividends. If you need to calculate how much tax you need to pay on your dividends, go here instead.

When it comes to paying the tax due on your dividends, it all depends on how much you received in the relevant tax year.

If you received under £2,000 in dividends

You don’t need to do anything.

It’s tax-free.

If you got between £2,000-£10,000 in dividends

  1. Call HMRC at 0300 200 3300
  2. Ask them to change your tax code – HMRC will take the tax from your salary or pension
  3. You can also pay through a Self Assessment tax return if you prefer.

If you dividends are more than £10,000

In this case, your only option is to file in a Self Assessment tax return.

Then you’ll pay the tax on dividends just like you would any other income tax that you pay through a tax return.

Hey there! We really hope this article helped you. Tax matters can be a dreadful topic at times. We know. That's why we started TaxScouts.
A stress-free way to getting your taxes done.

Have a minute? See how it works

More guides & useful information

Let us sort your Self Assessment online. £119, all in.

That’s right. No matter how complicated it gets or why you need to do a return in the first place, it’ll cost £119 to get it done. That includes VAT, last-minute changes and all the support you may need.

How TaxScouts works

Answer a few simple questions

And we mean a few. After a couple of minutes of answering questions online we’ll have everything we need to start preparing your tax return.

Then get paired with a tax return accountant

That’s right, you’ll be matched with a real certified accountant who is best suited to prepare your return. Plus, they’re on hand for questions whenever you need.

We file your Self Assessment for you

Once you’ve signed off your return, your TaxScouts accountant will submit your return with HMRC for you.

That’s it! We told you it was simple.