Let us sort your Self Assessment today. Stress-free. For £119, all in. Learn more


Tax is a sum that you need to pay to the government when you earn money. The government then uses it to fund public services, like building roads, schools, and hospitals.

If you’re an individual taxpayer, how you pay it depends on how you earned your income:

  • tax on income from employment is taken care of by your employer. They’ll deduct it for you and then send it over to HMRC using a system called PAYE (“Pay As You Earn”)
  • tax on earnings from outside employment needs to be calculated and paid by you. You usually do this through something called a “Self Assessment”.
  • for small amounts of certain kinds of income, you can also contact HMRC, so they change your “tax code”, which is a number that your employer uses when calculating your deductions. For example, you can do this for dividends between £2,000 and £10,000, or rental income between £1,000 and £2,500.

More guides & useful information

Let us sort your Self Assessment online. £119, all in.

That’s right. No matter how complicated it gets or why you need to do a return in the first place, it’ll cost £119 to get it done. That includes VAT, last-minute changes and all the support you may need.

How it works

1. Answer a few simple questions

And we mean a few. After a couple of minutes of answering questions online we’ll have everything we need to start working on your tax return.

2. Then get paired with a tax accountant

That’s right, you’ll be matched with a real accountant who is best suited to prepare your return. Plus, they’re on hand for questions whenever you need.

3. We file your Self Assessment for you

Once you’ve signed off your return, your TaxScouts accountant will file your return online with HMRC. That’s it! We told you it was simple.