⚠️ Hey, you are using an outdated web browser.
TaxScouts might not work with your browser. Upgrade here

Let us sort your Self Assessment online. £119, all in. Learn more

Live-in landlord

A live-in landlord (also known as a “resident landlord“) is someone who rents out a part of their home to a “lodger”, while also continuing to live in that home.

You’re also a live-in landlord if you rent out a room in your own home through a website like Airbnb, HomeAway, or

Things to keep in mind if you’re a live-in landlord:

  • you need to make sure that your property is maintained regularly: for example, make sure that gas and electrical appliances are inspected and safe to use
  • you’re also responsible for cleaning the communal areas of the property (like the living room) and taking care of major repairs
  • if you earned over £7,500 from your lodger, you also need to file a Self Assessment tax return – otherwise this income is tax-free
  • if you have to pay tax, you can choose to either claim expenses (repairs, etc.) or this flat £7,500 Rent-a-Room allowance to reduce your tax bill.

Hey there! We really hope this article helped you. Tax matters can be a dreadful topic at times. We know. That's why we started TaxScouts.
A stress-free way to getting your taxes done.

Have a minute? See how it works

More guides & useful information

Related terms

Let us sort your Self Assessment online. £119, all in.

That’s right. No matter how complicated it gets or why you need to do a return in the first place, it’ll cost £119 to get it done. That includes VAT, last-minute changes and all the support you may need.

How TaxScouts works

Answer a few simple questions

And we mean a few. After a couple of minutes of answering questions online we’ll have everything we need to start preparing your tax return.

Then get paired with a tax return accountant

That’s right, you’ll be matched with a real certified accountant who is best suited to prepare your return. Plus, they’re on hand for questions whenever you need.

We file your Self Assessment for you

Once you’ve signed off your return, your TaxScouts accountant will submit your return with HMRC for you.

That’s it! We told you it was simple.