Let us sort your Self Assessment online. £119, all in. Learn more

Companies House

The Companies House is a government body that deals with all the limited companies (“LTDs”) and limited liability partnerships (“LLPs”) registered in the UK.

When you have to deal with the Companies House if you’re an individual:

As an individual taxpayer, you will only deal with the Companies House if:

  • you’re setting up an LTD or LLP
  • you’re a company director and need to submit your company’s Annual Return, change of address, or statutory accounts
  • you’re closing an LTD or LLP.

If you’re a sole trader, you do not need to register with the Companies House. Instead, you simply register as a self-employed with HMRC and complete an annual Self Assessment tax return.

However, you might have to file a Self Assessment with HMRC if you’re a company director as well:

  • if you’re taking out dividends (on which you need to calculate and pay dividend tax)
  • if you’re selling your company or closing it down and claiming Entrepreneur’s Relief
  • but you won’t need to do a Self Assessment anymore just because you’re a director (this is a new rule, since 2018).

If you’re not sure which legal structure to choose, read more about the differences between sole traders and limited companies.

Hey there! We really hope this article helped you. Tax matters can be a dreadful topic at times. We know. That's why we started TaxScouts.
A stress-free way to getting your taxes done.

Have a minute? See how it works

More guides & useful information

Let us sort your Self Assessment online. £119, all in.

That’s right. No matter how complicated it gets or why you need to do a return in the first place, it’ll cost £119 to get it done. That includes VAT, last-minute changes and all the support you may need.

How it works

1. Answer a few simple questions

And we mean a few. After a couple of minutes of answering questions online we’ll have everything we need to start working on your tax return.

2. Then get paired with a tax accountant

That’s right, you’ll be matched with a real accountant who is best suited to prepare your return. Plus, they’re on hand for questions whenever you need.

3. We file your Self Assessment for you

Once you’ve signed off your return, your TaxScouts accountant will file your return online with HMRC. That’s it! We told you it was simple.