Dividend Tax Calculator View other calculators

Quickly calculate the tax you need to pay on the dividends you received from your investments, or what is the best way to pay yourself (dividends or salary) if you’re a company director.

Looking for help with a tax return?
Certified accountants, filed online, only £119
How did you earn dividends?
Dividends earned
Other income
Your additional income affects the tax you pay on fividends (e.g salary)
Select tax year

Taxable dividends breakdown

Tax free
Taxed at 7.5%

Other taxable income breakdown (excluding dividends)

Tax free
Taxed at 20%
Total annual income
Total tax
Taxable dividends
Dividend Tax
Other taxable income
Other income tax
This does not include National Insurance
Either try calling HMRC on 0300 200 3300 so they can simply take this tax from your salary or pension, or include it in your Self Assessment tax return.

How your dividend tax is calculated

Tax on dividends is calculated pretty much the same way as tax on any other income.

The biggest difference is the tax rates – instead of the usual 20%, 40%, 45% (depending on your tax band), you’ll be taxed at 7.5%, 32.5%, and 38.1%.

The numbers look strange but the reason is simple: the company paying you those dividends already paid corporate tax, so in the end it should work out to a similar tax rate.

This is mostly relevant if you own your company and trying to decide what is the best way to pay yourself: dividends or salary. Keep in mind that for salary you also need to pay National Insurance.

In your case you earned £3,000.00 in dividends and £29,000.00 in other income (this can be salary, rent, etc.).

Income Tax

You don’t pay income tax on the first £12,500.00 that you make in other income (this excludes dividends).

You pay 20% on the first £16,500.00 after the personal allowance.

Dividend Tax

You don’t pay any dividend tax on the first £2,000.00 you make in dividends.

You pay 7.5% on the next £1,000.00

Call HMRC on 0300 200 3300 so they can change your tax code – you’ll pay the dividend tax through your salary or pension.

If you normally file a tax return, you can also pay dividend tax through it.

Need help with your tax return?

Get your self assessment prepared for you online by certified accountants for £119

Online self assessment preparation assisted by professional accountants

How TaxScouts works

Simple online tax assessment

1. Simple online tax assessment

Our online tax-bot will go over your tax situation and will make sure you won’t overpay your taxes.

Chat to human advisors

2. Chat to human advisors

You can talk to one of our tax assistants at any time during the process when you have any questions.

We’ll sort your documents online

3. We’ll sort your documents online

We’ll tell you exactly what documents you need and sort them for you online. You just upload them or snap a picture with your phone.

Everything gets prepared for you

4. Everything gets prepared for you

Your certified accountant will go over your details & prepare your tax return for you to review. It will be filed on your behalf once you approve it.

"A quick and reliable service"
My self assessment tax return completed within 2-3 days. I'll definitely be using TaxScouts again and recommend to family and friends.
"I was very sceptical hitting the pay…"
…but my accountant did absolutely everything and took all of the hassle out of doing a tax return.
Wesley Thompson
"Absolutely outstanding"
Very quick turnaround, all my questions answered almost immediately and brilliant value.
Aimee J

Who our service is for

First time tax filers

We have a simple online service that guides you through the entire process. Regardless of your reasons for doing your tax return we'll help you get it done right.

Construction workers

We'll prepare your self assessment and help to maximise your CIS tax refund. We have the lowest fees in the industry and you don't have to pay up front if you're eligible for a refund.

People living overseas

Our service allows people living abroad to prepare their income tax return online. We are able to process all returns regardless of your current country of residence.

Company directors

UK company directors are required to file their self assessment annually. TaxScouts handles this through a simple online process.


Long Lets, Airbnb, Capital Gains. TaxScouts will sort out your self assessment and take away the worry of tracking all the recent tax changes.


TaxScouts ensures the self employed don't overpay on their taxes. We'll help you benefit from all the tax breaks and deductions that can be applied to your return.

And for everyone else who needs to do their self assessment

At TaxScouts we appreciate that tax returns are highly individual. Before you get assigned an accountant we make sure to understand your circumstances and help you build your optimal tax profile.