⚠️ Hey, you are using an outdated web browser.
TaxScouts might not work with your browser. Upgrade here

Let us sort your Self Assessment online. £119, all in. Learn more

Business rates

Business rates are additional taxes that you have to pay on top of council tax if you work from home.

When should you be paying business rates if you’re self-employed?

To work out this out, first you should calculate how much you use your home for your self-employed business. This calculation is based on the number of rooms that you work from, or the hours you spend at home working. Whilst it’s up to you how to work this out, your calculations must be deemed “reasonable” by HMRC.

Next, you should contact the Valuation Office Agency (VOA). If you live in Scotland, you should contact your local assessor instead.

If you are liable to pay business rates, you can claim them as an allowable expense in your Self Assessment tax return.

Hey there! We really hope this article helped you. Tax matters can be a dreadful topic at times. We know. That's why we started TaxScouts.
A stress-free way to getting your taxes done.

Have a minute? See how it works

More guides & useful information

Related terms

Let us sort your Self Assessment online. £119, all in.

That’s right. No matter how complicated it gets or why you need to do a return in the first place, it’ll cost £119 to get it done. That includes VAT, last-minute changes and all the support you may need.

How it works

1. Answer a few simple questions

And we mean a few. After a couple of minutes of answering questions online we’ll have everything we need to start working on your tax return.

2. Then get paired with a tax accountant

That’s right, you’ll be matched with a real accountant who is best suited to prepare your return. Plus, they’re on hand for questions whenever you need.

3. We file your Self Assessment for you

Once you’ve signed off your return, your TaxScouts accountant will file your return online with HMRC. That’s it! We told you it was simple.