⚠️ Hey, you are using an outdated web browser.
TaxScouts might not work with your browser. Upgrade here
🌟 New! Company tax returns Learn more

Stress-free taxes for Pocket Carer users

Self Assessment doesn’t need to be painful.

10% discount for Pocket Carers.

  • £169 £152, all in
  • Sorted by an accredited accountant
  • Simple, fast, all online
partnership with PocketCarer

A perk just for you

Self-employed carers, you’ve got more important things to think about than your taxes. So let us do them for you.

We’re offering Pocket Carer users a 10% discount on your first TaxScouts tax return or tax advice purchase.

How it works

Answer a few simple questions

And we mean a few. After a couple of minutes of answering questions online we’ll have everything we need to start preparing your tax return.

TaxScouts Self Assessment Tax Returns Step 1

Get paired with a tax return accountant

That’s right, you’ll be matched with a real accredited accountant who is best suited to prepare your return. Plus, they’re on hand for questions whenever you need.

TaxScouts Self Assessment Tax Returns Step 2

We file your Self Assessment for you

Once you’ve signed off your return, your TaxScouts accountant will submit your return with HMRC for you.

TaxScouts Self Assessment Tax Returns Step 3

Let’s get your Self Assessment sorted today

Taxes as they should be done

homepage filed 100000+

What’s included?

Get professional help from an accredited accountant.
  • A UK based accredited accountant works on your taxes
  • Professional help to claim eligible expenses and tax reliefs
  • Full calculation of your tax bill for you to review and approve
  • Your tax return filed to HMRC
  • Online support from your accountant
  • Current or previous tax year filing
  • Switching over from your previous accountant

Got a tax-related problem?

We also offer one-off tax advice from an accredited accountant. Want to be more tax-efficient? Need to get your head around your tax situation? We can help.  

Book a tax advice consultation for 1-1 professional support by phone or video call. 

£139 £125, all in. Learn more

Expert Tax Advice

What the media are saying about us

Filling out your annual return needn’t be taxing. This start-up aims to take the pain out of many people’s biggest headache.

The Times

Common questions

You’re not alone. If you’ve got a question about tax we’ve probably heard it before and have an answer, or we can walk you through what to do.

More guides and FAQs

You need to register as soon as you start your self-employment work.

The deadline is the 5th October of your second tax year.

For example: you start working as self-employed on June 1st, 2019. You have until October 5th, 2020, to register, and until January 31st, 2021, to file a tax return.


We don’t just take you halfway there – TaxScouts is a complete tax return service:

  • We calculate your tax bill
  • We help you find and claim eligible expenses and tax allowances
  • And we actually file your personal tax return. All you need to do is approve it.

It usually depends on how complex your tax situation is.

Our standard is two days from the point where our accountant has all the documents they need from you.

One thing to keep in mind: if this is your first Self Assessment you’ll need to register and get a UTR number first. HMRC can take a few weeks to send it by post – so you should register early.

The documents we require depend on why you need to do a Self Assessment.

If your only reason to file one is because you’ve gone over the £100,000 earnings threshold, and your only source of income is employment (PAYE), then we only need a P60 (sometimes a P45 as well), and any P11D forms you might have received from your employer.

However, if you already have an HMRC Online Services account, we can simply connect to it and simply pull your information from there. And, in case you’re wondering, we’re authorised by HMRC to do this.

For any other reasons to do a Self Assessment, we have a longer list of documents here.

You get a 30 minute phone or video call with your accredited accountant. They’ll then provide you with a written summary of your call, plus any follow up actions which will be available in your TaxScouts online account.

No, you won’t need to send anything. You should keep your Airbnb log of your income for your own records. Here are some instructions to download it.


For example: you works as a restaurant waiter in the morning and drive an Uber in the evenings. You will have to file a tax return for your Uber income.

Read more about being both employed and self-employed here.

Expenses are costs that you might be able to claim against your earnings so that you pay less tax.

What you can claim will depend on your situation, sources of income, and the tax-free allowances which you’re already claiming.

The two most common sources of income where it makes sense to claim expenses are for self-employment and rental income, but it is possible to claim certain expenses from other sources of income too. Read more about expenses.

After your personal, accredited accountant has filed your tax return, all you need to do is prepare to pay your bill or, if you’re due one, wait for your refund.

You can do this either directly on HMRC online or via your TaxScouts account, where we’ll redirect you to HMRC’s payment portal.


If you don’t tell HMRC that you’re no longer self-employed, they’ll still expect you to file a Self Assessment tax return.

You’ll be fined if you don’t – even if you owe no tax at all.

The way you tell HMRC that you stopped being self-employed is by filing a tax return and specifying that it’s your last one.

Let’s get your Self Assessment sorted today

Taxes as they should be done