⚠️ Hey, you are using an outdated web browser.
TaxScouts might not work with your browser. Upgrade here

Let us sort your Self Assessment online. £119, all in. Learn more

How to pay your tax bill

If you need to pay your tax bill, HMRC accepts most payment methods:

What you need to remember:

  • have your UTR number ready – here is how to get it
  • payments can take between 1 to 5 working days to reach HMRC, so if the payment deadline falls on a bank holiday or a weekend, make sure that your payment reaches HMRC before that – or you’ll be fined (£100).

What if I cannot pay my tax bill on time?

Make sure to contact HMRC.

What will happen:

  1. HMRC will consider why you’re struggling to pay the amount owed
  2. HMRC will let you know how much they believe you can pay right now
  3. You will also be able to work out a payment plan for paying the rest of your tax bill.

Our advice: even if you cannot afford to pay your tax bill, do not wait.

Submit your tax return and discuss with HMRC — it’s much harder to appeal a Self Assessment penalty than discuss a payment plan.

Hey there! We really hope this article helped you. Tax matters can be a dreadful topic at times. We know. That's why we started TaxScouts.
A stress-free way to getting your taxes done.

Have a minute? See how it works

More guides & useful information

Let us sort your Self Assessment online. £119, all in.

That’s right. No matter how complicated it gets or why you need to do a return in the first place, it’ll cost £119 to get it done. That includes VAT, last-minute changes and all the support you may need.

How TaxScouts works

Answer a few simple questions

And we mean a few. After a couple of minutes of answering questions online we’ll have everything we need to start preparing your tax return.

Then get paired with a tax return accountant

That’s right, you’ll be matched with a real certified accountant who is best suited to prepare your return. Plus, they’re on hand for questions whenever you need.

We file your Self Assessment for you

Once you’ve signed off your return, your TaxScouts accountant will submit your return with HMRC for you.

That’s it! We told you it was simple.