⚠️ Hey, you are using an outdated web browser.
TaxScouts might not work with your browser. Upgrade here

Let us sort your Self Assessment online. £119, all in. Learn more

How do I pay tax as a videographer?

As a freelance filmmaker or videographer, you have to pay taxes like any other sole trader. 

You will need to complete a Self Assessment and then pay tax via a tax return.

How much tax do I pay if I’m also employed?

This depends on how much you earn. 

If you do videography outside your full-time position as a side-gig, you can take advantage of the Trading Allowance. It allows you to earn up to £1000 on top of your salaried income, tax-free. 

Anything you earn over £1000 is taxed at the normal rate of tax you pay. If you’re not sure how much you normally pay, take a look at the table below:

IncomeTax rateTax band
Up to £12,5000%Personal Allowance
£12,501 – £50,00020%Basic Rate
£50,001 – £150,00040%Higher Rate
£150,000 +50%Additional Rate

What tax do I pay if I’m a full-time freelance videographer?

If you freelance full time, there are three types of tax that you should pay:

Both Class 2 and Class 4 national insurance must be paid even if you earn less than the tax-free Personal Allowance. 

Class 2 National insurance is a fixed rate that you pay on earnings over £6,475. Class 4 National Insurance is 9% of your self-employment profits over £9,501.

To calculate what you owe in Income Tax, check out our Income Tax Calculator. Income Tax is only paid on earnings over the tax-free Personal Allowance threshold.

How do videographer expenses work?

You can claim videography and filmmaker expenses against your income to reduce the tax that you pay. It’s really important to record everything that you earn and all of your business spending. If you have an electronic copy of everything, that’s even better, but if you keep paper records, that’s also fine. 

Here’s a list of allowable expenses that you can claim as a videographer:

  • Camera equipment
  • Travel expenses (to shoots or client meetings)
  • Microphone
  • Tool kits
  • Gaffer tape
  • Video software packages
  • Editing software
  • Rent or space hire (for filming on location)
  • Equipment insurance

In fact, you can claim back anything that you can prove was an expense for your videography/filmmaking business.

Ready to do your tax return?

You can get started right away. Sign up here to get matched with an accountant.

Hey there! We really hope this article helped you. Tax matters can be a dreadful topic at times. We know. That's why we started TaxScouts.
A stress-free way to getting your taxes done.

Have a minute? See how it works

More guides & useful information

Let us sort your Self Assessment online. £119, all in.

That’s right. No matter how complicated it gets or why you need to do a return in the first place, it’ll cost £119 to get it done. That includes VAT, last-minute changes and all the support you may need.

How TaxScouts works

Answer a few simple questions

And we mean a few. After a couple of minutes of answering questions online we’ll have everything we need to start preparing your tax return.

Then get paired with a tax return accountant

That’s right, you’ll be matched with a real certified accountant who is best suited to prepare your return. Plus, they’re on hand for questions whenever you need.

We file your Self Assessment for you

Once you’ve signed off your return, your TaxScouts accountant will submit your return with HMRC for you.

That’s it! We told you it was simple.