⚠️ Hey, you are using an outdated web browser.
TaxScouts might not work with your browser. Upgrade here

Let us sort your Self Assessment online. £119, all in. Learn more


The SA1 form is the form that you need to use to register for Self Assessment with HMRC.

You have to register for Self Assessment if:

  • you have any untaxed income (for example, from self-employment, renting out a property, etc.), usually over £1,000
  • you want to claim a tax relief, for instance, SEIS/EIS
  • you earned over £100,000 in the last tax year (including from full-time employment), etc.

You can download the SA1 on HMRC’s website, if you want to register by post.

However, you can also register for Self Assessment online, in which case you don’t need to worry about this form. The link is on the same HMRC page.

Once you’ve registered for Self Assessment, you’ll receive a UTR number – also by post. You’ll need your UTR to file your tax return.

Hey there! We really hope this article helped you. Tax matters can be a dreadful topic at times. We know. That's why we started TaxScouts.
A stress-free way to getting your taxes done.

Have a minute? See how it works

More guides & useful information

Let us sort your Self Assessment online. £119, all in.

That’s right. No matter how complicated it gets or why you need to do a return in the first place, it’ll cost £119 to get it done. That includes VAT, last-minute changes and all the support you may need.

How TaxScouts works

Answer a few simple questions

And we mean a few. After a couple of minutes of answering questions online we’ll have everything we need to start preparing your tax return.

Then get paired with a tax return accountant

That’s right, you’ll be matched with a real certified accountant who is best suited to prepare your return. Plus, they’re on hand for questions whenever you need.

We file your Self Assessment for you

Once you’ve signed off your return, your TaxScouts accountant will submit your return with HMRC for you.

That’s it! We told you it was simple.