We sort your Self Assessment for you. £169, all in.

Fast, effortless and 100% online.  Learn more

We sort your Self Assessment for you. £169, all in.


  • 2 min read

A P11D is a form that tells HMRC if you received expenses or benefits from your employer, outside of your annual salary. If you don’t receive any taxable expenses or benefits then you might not get a P11D form at all.

If you earn less than £8,500 per year, your employer will give you a P9D form instead. It’s important to keep a copy of your P11D for when you’ll need to file a Self Assessment tax return. HMRC considers these benefits types of income. They are therefore taxable.

What is a P11D form used for?

The P11D form essentially details the expenses and/or benefits that you’re liable to pay tax on. 

It’s more relevant to your employer, as they have to file one with HMRC every year (by the 6th of July) for every employee or director who’s received expenses or benefits outside of their salary.

Such as:

  • Company cars
  • Private car allowances and fuel
  • Company vans for private use
  • Company mileage allowances and fuel
  • Non-credit card expenses payments
  • Working from home
  • Private medical insurance
  • Home telephone payments
  • Living accommodation
  • Beneficial loans
  • And more!

Will it affect the amount of tax I’ll pay?

It can, yes. As these benefits and expenses are deemed as taxable, they’ll usually be offset against your PAYE tax code. Meaning that you could pay more tax. Details of how much tax you’ve paid can be found on your monthly payslip, as well as any change in your tax code. It’s important to check that you’re paying the correct amount of tax – contact HMRC if you think you’re not. 

What to do if you lose your P11D

Don’t worry! Unlike some documents, such as a P60, it’s fairly straightforward to get your P11D replaced. You can usually request a new copy from your employer, and if they can’t give you one, just get in touch with HMRC.

TaxScouts Newsletter

Want regular tips from us?

Sign up for important updates, deadline reminders and basic tax hacks sent straight to your inbox.

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.