We sort your Self Assessment for you. £169, all in.

Fast, effortless and 100% online.  Learn more

We sort your Self Assessment for you. £169, all in.


  • 2 min read

The HCPC is the Health and Care Professions Council. It holds a register of various healthcare workers in the UK, as well as regulating the healthcare space. As a locum healthcare worker, you will have to register to have your practices regulated by them. You should also contact them when you leave.

Who needs to register with the HCPC?

The list of workers who register with HCPC includes some of the following professions who meet their standards for their training, professional skills, behaviour and health. It is the law to register with them if you work as a:

  • Social worker
  • Health care professional
  • Paramedic
  • Radiographer
  • Dietician
  • Clinical psychologist
  • And many more!

The HCPC also make sure that someone who has trained outside of the UK has met their standards before they register them.

What does the HCPC regulate?

The HCPC regulate a variety of things to keep the industry safe, such as:

  • Education of practitioners
  • Training courses
  • Standards of conduct, performance and ethics

You can see the full list on their website here.

How much is HCPC per year?

Healthcare workers pay a renewal fee of £232.72 for two years – £116.26 per year. If you’re a new UK graduate from an HCPC approved course, the fee you will pay for the first two professional years is reduced by 50% to £116.36 (£58.18 per year). The fee can be paid in one upfront payment or spread out over a longer period via Direct Debit.

Be aware that if you do not renew your registration every year, HCPC will remove you from the register, and you will be asked to pay a readmission fee if you want to become registered again. 

Claiming tax back

The good news is that UK taxpayers can claim back tax on their HCPC renewal fees every year! If you pay tax at the standard rate (20%), you can claim roughly around £32 back on your yearly £116.26 renewal fee. To do this, you can either:

  1. Complete a Self Assessment tax return and claim tax relief
  2. You can claim tax relief through your employment expenses using a P87 form
TaxScouts Newsletter

Want regular tips from us?

Sign up for important updates, deadline reminders and basic tax hacks sent straight to your inbox.

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.