⚠️ Hey, you are using an outdated web browser.
TaxScouts might not work with your browser. Upgrade here

Let us sort your Self Assessment online. £119, all in. Learn more

CIS card

The CIS card shows that you’re a self-employed construction worker registered with the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS).

It’s not the same as the CSCS card which shows your skills and qualifications instead.

After you register, your contractor will deduct 20% from your salary, which is sent to HMRC. Often this is more than you should be paying, so you can claim a refund in April of the following tax year. For most CIS construction workers, this tax rebate is about £2,000.

Do you have a CIS card? If not, don’t worry. It might be because:

  • You’re employed by an umbrella company or agency instead of the building company
  • You’re charged tax at 30% of your salary

To confirm, just double check with your contractor.

Hey there! We really hope this article helped you. Tax matters can be a dreadful topic at times. We know. That's why we started TaxScouts.
A stress-free way to getting your taxes done.

Have a minute? See how it works

More guides & useful information

Related terms

Let us sort your Self Assessment online. £119, all in.

That’s right. No matter how complicated it gets or why you need to do a return in the first place, it’ll cost £119 to get it done. That includes VAT, last-minute changes and all the support you may need.

How TaxScouts works

Answer a few simple questions

And we mean a few. After a couple of minutes of answering questions online we’ll have everything we need to start preparing your tax return.

Then get paired with a tax return accountant

That’s right, you’ll be matched with a real certified accountant who is best suited to prepare your return. Plus, they’re on hand for questions whenever you need.

We file your Self Assessment for you

Once you’ve signed off your return, your TaxScouts accountant will submit your return with HMRC for you.

That’s it! We told you it was simple.