Let us sort your Self Assessment online. £119, all in. Learn more

Charitable donations

Charitable donations are money that you give to charities. Charitable donations are tax-free in the UK, so if you have donated, you can claim tax relief on it.

How you claim tax relief depends on how you donated:

  • if you gave money directly: in most cases, charities can claim something called Gift Aid – basically, the basic rate of tax for the income that you gave. If you’re a higher rate taxpayer, you can claim the difference between the rate you pay and basic rate on your donation. For example, if you donate £100, they can claim another £25 in Gift Aid. Because you pay 40% tax, you can also claim back £25.00 as tax relief for yourself. You’ll do this through a Self Assessment tax return or by calling HMRC and asking for a P810 form.
  • if you donated land, property, or shares: you can claim both Income Tax relief and Capital Gains Tax relief (usually, you have to pay CGT when giving assets as a gift). You do this either through a Self Assessment tax return or by calling HMRC – they’ll either send you a cheque or change your tax code.
  • if you donate through your will, the value of your donation will be taken off the value of your estate (so your beneficiaries will pay less Inheritance Tax). If you leave more than 10% of your estate to charity, the rest will also be subject to a reduced IHT rate of 36% instead of 40%.

Hey there! We really hope this article helped you. Tax matters can be a dreadful topic at times. We know. That's why we started TaxScouts.
A stress-free way to getting your taxes done.

Have a minute? See how it works

More guides & useful information

Related terms

Let us sort your Self Assessment online. £119, all in.

That’s right. No matter how complicated it gets or why you need to do a return in the first place, it’ll cost £119 to get it done. That includes VAT, last-minute changes and all the support you may need.

How it works

1. Answer a few simple questions

And we mean a few. After a couple of minutes of answering questions online we’ll have everything we need to start working on your tax return.

2. Then get paired with a tax accountant

That’s right, you’ll be matched with a real accountant who is best suited to prepare your return. Plus, they’re on hand for questions whenever you need.

3. We file your Self Assessment for you

Once you’ve signed off your return, your TaxScouts accountant will file your return online with HMRC. That’s it! We told you it was simple.