Gifting property: what taxes do you need to pay?

We've updated this guide on 24th July 2019

Gifting property is not always tax-free. Depending on its value and who you give it to, you might need to pay: CGT, IHT, stamp duty, and more.

Will I pay capital gains tax?

Most likely yes, unless it was your home or you gave it to your spouse.

You can read more in our guide to capital gains tax for gifted property.

You might also want to check our our capital gains tax calculator to work out how much you need to pay.

Will I have to pay stamp duty?


However, the receiver of the gift has to pay it sometimes:

  • if you’re giving it to your spouse: they’ll pay 3% above the normal rate
  • or if they already own property: same as above
  • but also if the property has a mortgage on it: the new owner will have to pay stamp duty on the outstanding value of the mortgage.

One thing to note: you need to let the bank know about the gift so they can check that the new owner can afford the mortgage.

Who will pay rental income?

The recipient – they will be the new landlord.

The only exception is if you give property to a child under 18. You will have to pay rental income tax until they come of age.

How about inheritance tax?

Usually there’s no inheritance tax to pay if:

  • you live for seven years after you give the property
  • or your entire estate is under £325,000 (the inheritance tax allowance).

This allowance increases increases to £475,000 if the property is your main home and you’re giving it to your children or grandchildren.

Anything above the IHT allowance will be in most cases taxed at 40%.

You can read more about the inheritance tax rates and allowances here.

Can I still live there?

Yes, but you need to pay rent – at the market rate.

Otherwise the recipient will still have to pay inheritance tax.

Can TaxScouts help with these taxes?


Simply sign up and we can do your capital gains and rental income tax return.

For stamp duty, the property agent or lawyer can do it for you, or you can pay stamp duty online by yourself as well.

For inheritance tax, your lawyer can also “apply for probate”, which gives them the right to deal with your property and assets after you pass away.

Need help with your tax return?

Get your self assessment prepared for you online by certified accountants for £119

Online self assessment preparation assisted by professional accountants

How TaxScouts works

Simple online tax assessment

1. Simple online tax assessment

Our online tax-bot will go over your tax situation and will make sure you won’t overpay your taxes.

Chat to human advisors

2. Chat to human advisors

You can talk to one of our tax assistants at any time during the process when you have any questions.

We’ll sort your documents online

3. We’ll sort your documents online

We’ll tell you exactly what documents you need and sort them for you online. You just upload them or snap a picture with your phone.

Everything gets prepared for you

4. Everything gets prepared for you

Your certified accountant will go over your details & prepare your tax return for you to review. It will be filed on your behalf once you approve it.

"I was very sceptical hitting the pay…"
…but my accountant did absolutely everything and took all of the hassle out of doing a tax return.
Wesley Thompson
"A quick and reliable service"
My self assessment tax return completed within 2-3 days. I'll definitely be using TaxScouts again and recommend to family and friends.
"Very fast"
Very fast and gave good advice I will be using every year
Wayne L

Who our service is for

First time tax filers

We have a simple online service that guides you through the entire process. Regardless of your reasons for doing your tax return we'll help you get it done right.

Construction workers

We'll prepare your self assessment and help to maximise your CIS tax refund. We have the lowest fees in the industry and you don't have to pay up front if you're eligible for a refund.

People living overseas

Our service allows people living abroad to prepare their income tax return online. We are able to process all returns regardless of your current country of residence.

Company directors

UK company directors are required to file their self assessment annually. TaxScouts handles this through a simple online process.


Long Lets, Airbnb, Capital Gains. TaxScouts will sort out your self assessment and take away the worry of tracking all the recent tax changes.


TaxScouts ensures the self employed don't overpay on their taxes. We'll help you benefit from all the tax breaks and deductions that can be applied to your return.

And for everyone else who needs to do their self assessment

At TaxScouts we appreciate that tax returns are highly individual. Before you get assigned an accountant we make sure to understand your circumstances and help you build your optimal tax profile.

Let's start by creating your account

What happens next

  • We'll ask you a couple of short questions
  • Then we'll tell you what documents we need
  • Finally one of our qualified accountants will file your tax return